Sending perspective view to layout. Prints Blurry

Steve_Chief_Stud

Hi, I'm helping my friend with some drawings and have this issue.

First couple of pages of layout view are perspective views of house. When sending to layout they are very blurry.

Is there a way to send higher res image to layout?

My only workaround so far:

1. In Chief >File > Export > BMP JPG    ( Export as a large file )
2. Crop extra white around image
3. Import to Layout

post-13267-0-88047000-1470332642_thumb.jpg

This is intentional by Chief, so everything will work faster, when you print  to PDF or whatever ,it will print a a higher resolution  .

Pretty sure you're referring to live elevations Perry, not sending a bitmap. EDIT: You could be right about that Perry - I don't send renders to Layout very often.

If you send a bitmap picture to Layout the best way to get the best resolution is with the largest monitor you can access. Also can you 'crop' the picture by zooming in a little before you send to Layout? That will save some resolution for the final picture.

The OP is talking about blurriness in images printed to paper.  See the attachments in that first post. 

I think using the export-import option is the best way to get increased resolution but I'm not sure I understand the need for that extra cropping step.  All you should need to do is resize the picture box once its in layout and/or export with a transparent background.

Pretty sure you're referring to live elevations Perry, not sending a bitmap. EDIT: You could be right about that Perry - I don't send renders to Layout very often.

If you send a bitmap picture to Layout the best way to get the best resolution is with the largest monitor you can access. Also can you 'crop' the picture by zooming in a little before you send to Layout? That will save some resolution for the final picture.

Larry it looks to me like he was asking about sending to the layout, The only picture (JPG,BNG) I ever send to the layout would be a ray-trace. The rendering views are just fine when you print it out, very good resolution.

The OP is talking about blurriness in images printed to paper.  See the attachments in that first post. 

I think using the export-import option is the best way to get increased resolution but I'm not sure I understand the need for that extra cropping step.  All you should need to do is resize the picture box once its in layout and/or export with a transparent background.

Re- read the post he is talking about sending to the layout. Not printing. All I'm saying is when he actually prints to pdf, they will have a good high resolution

Re- read the post he is talking about sending to the layout. Not printing. All I'm saying is when he actually prints to pdf, they will have a good high resolution

He said they are blurry when sending to layout as opposed to importing the image to layout.  If you look at the attachments and put 2 and 2 together I think you'll realize he's talking about how the images appear on paper afterward.  They are blurry when the image was sent directly to layout but are sharp when the picture is exported and imported at a higher resolution.  He's asking if there's a way to send directly to layout at a higher resolution to avoid the export/import process and as far as I know, the answer is no. 

Michael

You never need to export any rendering, it will be blurry when sent to the layout normally. That is how Chief was changed in X8 with live views. I'm saying he doesn't have to export except for ray-traces. He can do it the hard way if he wants to. Your information is just wrong here. The post says nothing about printing. If I were the op, I'd try to actually print one and see.

Michael

You never need to export any rendering, it will be blurry when sent to the layout normally. That is how Chief was changed in X8 with live views. I'm saying he doesn't have to export except for ray-traces. He can do it the hard way if he wants to. Your information is just wrong here. The post says nothing about printing. If I were the op, I'd try to actually print one and see.

I don't know why you have such a problem with me Perry, it seems like you're always out to prove me wrong for some reason.  You are absolutely correct that images sent to layout will usually be blurry until printed, but...

Just look at the attachment.  It is a picture of 2 different PRINTED proofs. 

No problem with you at all, yes I see the pic's but that's not what he is asking

"...Your information is just wrong here..."

Please tell me how my information is wrong sir.  Do you know of any other way to increase the resolution of an image sent directly to layout?  And you can't say you don't need to increase the resolution because that's the entire point of the thread.  Images sent to layout are PRINTING too blurry for the OP's tastes.

"...The post says nothing about printing..."

The title of the thread is "Sending perspective view to layout. Prints Blurry"  AND there is an attachment with pictures of printed pages.

"...If I were the op, I'd try to actually print one and see..."

????  :huh: ????

I give up.  You win.

Is there a way to send higher res image to layout?

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is a little more complicated.

If you send a view to your layout as an image (Current Screen As Image), the best resolution you can get is whatever the current screen resolution is.  The only way to get a higher resolution image is to first export it as a higher resolution image and then import that image to your layout page as you have already been doing.  This is the only way that I know of to get a high resolution ray traced image onto a layout page.

You can also send a view to your layout as a Live View.  A live view may look burry on the computer screen but this is because we limit the resolution on the screen for performance reasons.  When you print out a layout, we regenerate all of your live views using printer resolution so it should look good when printed.

You can also send views to your layout as Plot Lines.  Plot lines are not images.  They are actual lines that get drawn on demand.  Since they are not images they should not have any resolution problems. 

Assuming that you are using X8, I would recommend that you try using the live view instead of sending the view as an image and see if that gives you the results you are looking for.

OK, I'm going to jump in here and try to explain.

The OP didn't just send a Standard Render to Layout.  He exported the Standard Render to a BMP and then imported the BMP to Layout.  This is the wrong way to do it.  He should have simply sent the Render View to Layout (as a live view or Plot Lines) - in which case it would display on the screen according to the degree of zoom but would print without any pixelation or blurriness.

Actually, a Standard Render can't be sent to Layout as Plot Lines.  It would need to be a Vector or Line Drawing in order to have that option.

Please, both Perry and Michael, let's knock off the ..........

...The OP didn't just send a Standard Render to Layout.  He exported the Standard Render to a BMP and then imported the BMP to Layout.  This is the wrong way to do it.  He should have simply sent the Render View to Layout...

I think like Perry you aren't fully reading the post.  He actually only did this is a workaround to achieve the desired higher resolution.  He did try sending to layout normally first.  I guess I assumed he tried as a live view.  Maybe he didn't.

...If you send a view to your layout as an image (Current Screen As Image), the best resolution you can get is whatever the current screen resolution is...

This may or may not be part or all of the problem.  The OP may have been inadvertently sending Current Screen As Image not realizing a live view may print cleaner than the image...which may or may not be true (the printed results of those 2 methods look nearly identical on my end but that may be due to my screen resolution...I'm really not sure).

I suspect that the original poster was using "Current Screen As Image" because a "Live View" should not look blurry when printed.

I think you may be right.  At first glance, the printed output of the 2 methods looked pretty similar on my end but on closer inspection, the "Live View" actually does appear to have a higher resolution than Current Screen as Image. 

I haven't personally had issues with blurriness because as Perry said the live views print just fine (at least for my uses).  I was just trying to confirm to the OP that the export /import method is the only way to increase resolution for images and that we can't control resolution when sending DIRECTLY to layout (which may be only partially accurate depending on screen size?).   This has got my curious though now...At what point or screen size does Current Screen offer a higher resolution?  Is there a specific resolution that Live Views print at?

And to hopefully clarify a little, it looks like we do have partial control of resolution (depending on screen size?)...

Lowest resolution...Current Screen As Image

Medium resolution...Live View

Highest resolution...Export/Import

Is that correct Dermot?  And if you can clarify what resolution that point between medium and high is that might be helpful.

Wow, thank you guys for arguing about my poorly written question. ( I even read the thread about asking clear questions before posting. ) :rolleyes:

The PRINTED image looks blurry if I just send my perspective view from chief > layout > print

On the screen in layout view the image is passable,but if you look closely, you can see some some distortion to the image.

So, for the final PRINTED LAYOUT VIEW to look sharp this is what I did...

Inside Chief while looking at the perspective view > I clicked on file export > BMP > Made the image very large > Then in MS Paint I cropped out the extra white. Then I RE IMPORTED STATIC image into chief layout view. It prints very sharp and clear.

I was asking if there is a setting inside chief when sending to layout to INCREASE IMAGE QUALITY of perspective view so the final PRINTED IMAGE IS SHARP.

"the "Live View" actually does appear to have a higher resolution than Current Screen as Image"  I will try sending live view to layout and see what that looks like.

Thank you very much for all help. Any lines, drawings etc look razor sharp. My question is about sending perspective view to layout then printer.

post-13267-0-88047000-1470332642_thumb.jpg

When sent as a "Live View" it should print very clear.  It will depend on the printer selected (PDF is probably the best) but basically, a "Live View" is printed at the resolution of the printer so that's as good as it could possibly be.  IOW, don't be confused by what you see on the screen.  If you zoom on a "Live View" you will see that it gets better and better as you zoom in.

My understanding is that it's the Printer's resolution".

See Dermot's explanation in post #14

When sent as a "Live View" it should print very clear.  It will depend on the printer selected (PDF is probably the best) but basically, a "Live View" is printed at the resolution of the printer so that's as good as it could possibly be.  IOW, don't be confused by what you see on the screen.  If you zoom on a "Live View" you will see that it gets better and better as you zoom in.

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate or it could at least use a little clarification.  I just tried printing a PDF at 4,000 dpi and the ouput of both the Live View and Image are dang near identical.  See the attached PDF.  Page 1 is the Live View and Page 2 is the Image.  If you zoom in, the pixelation doesn't appear notably different between the 2.

Test.pdf

Michael,

You just took a picture of the Screen at a given zoom factor.  That's going to be limited to the number of pixels on the screen, not the printer.  OTOH, if you zoom in on the Live View you will have more pixels for the amount of the view shown on the screen.  There's no way to take a screen shot that's going to be as clear as the printed output.

Michael,

You just took a picture of the Screen at a given zoom factor.  That's going to be limited to the number of pixels on the screen, not the printer.  OTOH, if you zoom in on the Live View you will have more pixels for the amount of the view shown on the screen.  There's no way to take a screen shot that's going to be as clear as the printed output.

Actually, I PRINTED a PDF at 4,000 dpi which is a higher resolution than any physical printer I have access to.  The PDF printer IS my printer and so I should get 4,000 dpi ouput...which should give us the absolute limits of Chief's Live View resolution (unless its higher than 4,000 dpi of course).   Even when saving and viewing that PDF in the most optimized version possible (zero compression and no image re-sampling) I get the same pixelation.  I can prove the PDF is displaying the limits of the 2 views' resolutions too because if you zoom in on the text on that first page you'll see that its lossless (no pixelation whatsoever). 

Just for comparison sake, here's an example of a "high resolution PDF" and I might note that the resolution requirements aren't actually all that high..much lower than 4,000 dpi anyway.

SAMPLE PDF.pdf

• Upvote 1