Layout View Shape

EmmaCox

I have a weird shaped floor plan that I'm trying to fit on two seperate pages.  The problem I am having is that I can only do the layout view in a rectangle and I want to be able to break it and angle the layout so that I can't see some of the information.  I have put white polyline solids to cover up most of it but it doesn't work in the title bar for some reason.

I did some research and the "CAD Mask" seems to be the solution but when I tried to watch a video on it an error came up so I'm not sure how it works.

Does anyone know how I can change the shape of the Layout View or how to use the CAD Mask?

You don't need a mask, just send two different floor plans, 1 on each page ,and just pull a side handle to show what you want they can even be different scales. they mask themselves. you could also draw a cut line on the plan to show on both plans. If you only want to change the shape of the window, there is a way to do it but I forgot.

Yes, I am basically looking how to make an Irregular shaped view port, I don't want to break the plan up.

Can you maybe try watching the video on a different computer? It works fine for me and I know plenty of other people have been able to view it as well. In the meantime, I did post somewhat of an answer to your question over in that other thread. It's hard to give you a more acurate answer without being able to see exactly what you're doing. Can you maybe post the plan, or at the very least a screenshot showing what you're doing along with a description of what you're trying to achieve? Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that you might need to select your mask and "Move to Front of Group" or even place in Front Drawing Group (Line Style tab). Also, as I mentioned in that other thread, you don't need to use a polyline solid. You just need to use a regular polyline with a solid FILL.

.................polyline solids to cover up most of it but it doesn't work in the title bar for some reason.

The title bar is on page 0, everything there shows up on all other pages, and therefore the

title bar must be changed there.

The way I remember it was that he cropped the Layout Box, then put a solid filled mask (rectangular box) on top of that and a hole in the mask.  The hole can be shaped as much as you want, including fillets so that you get an oval or a circle.

I do this in my CAD Detail Windows, my Interior Elevations and sometimes in Sections.  I don't do it in Layout very often but for a case like the OP I would do it in the Layout.  The mask (both the boundary and the fill) can be the same color as the background so it won't show.

BTW, reshaping the layout box and using a mask are not created equal and a mask has a lot of benefits over the prior. Most notably a mask allows placement of dimensions, notations, and/or CAD work (in plan) that extend beyond the border you create. I would still use CAD masks even if we had the ability to completely reshape a layout box...no question about it.