QUICK SURVEY.... Text vs. Rich Text use.

buzzsaw204

I'm surprised so many use RT more often. For me I found tables very difficult to control...and I use a lot of footnotes on my plans. With standard text I simply "tab" to create new column and it stays put even if I need to resize text etc.

RT in CA has been much more challenging IMO.

Joe, can we now properly label our door and window sizes using superscript numerical characters? Is this something new in version X8?

No, the only superscript characters we can use at present are 1,2, & 3.  All of the other superscript characters require Ruby support for characters above ASCII-255.  CA would need to add UNICODE support to Ruby or provide a custom font with the superscript characters 4,5,6,7,8,9 & 0 in a non-standard location.  This is something I requested but I have no way of knowing if they will do either.

I think standard text has a HUGE (to quote Trump) advantage in that the size can be controlled on a dynamic basis by layer. (And therefore, anno set.) Rich text, once placed, is fixed in size.

Good point - which works perfectly for most Labels.  But for custom data tables it prevents hiliting headings, paragraph titles, etc.  That's where RT shines.

A problem I have with rich text is you have to dig thru the dbx to turn on an arrow, and when you do it comes in unattached.  Unless this was fixed with X8  ( I will say once the arrow is attached it behaves better than the one accompanying regular text).

Most of my template text dates to 9.5 which frankly I think performs better with arrows connected than the X series of text.

I think standard text has a HUGE (to quote Trump) advantage in that the size can be controlled on a dynamic basis by layer. (And therefore, anno set.) Rich text, once placed, is fixed in size.

Yes,  this has been my thinking.  However I am starting to using RT for boiler plate note blocks.