Import furniture

stager386

Hello All:

I am putting together a plan for a client with furnishings from a certain manufacturer that is not currently part of the catalogue downloads. How do I import this chair from an outside source and have it behave just like any catalogue item?

Thanks,

Kate

post-4498-0-70584200-1470144114_thumb.jpg

Thank you.

The file I attached in my question is simply an image I pulled from an online catalogue.  It's a jpeg or png file.  I know how to make changes to an existing library item and save it as my customized item.  However there seems to be no other way to import items that aren't already in the right format, like from 3D Warehouse or the bonus catalogues.

Thank you.

The file I attached in my question is simply an image I pulled from an online catalogue.  It's a jpeg or png file.  I know how to make changes to an existing library item and save it as my customized item.  However there seems to be no other way to import items that aren't already in the right format, like from 3D Warehouse or the bonus catalogues.

That is 100% correct.  jpegs and pngs are not 3D so there's no way to import them as symbols.  OTOH, you can use them as "Images"placed in the model.

Here's what Chief says about importing 3D symbols and file types supported:

Importing 3D Symbols

Chief Architect supports the import of 3D surface and 3D solid objects saved in .dwg, .dxf, .3ds, .obj, .stl, .dae, and .skp formats. See 3D Data Import Requirements.

For most file types, there are three ways to import a 3D symbol into Chief Architect:

• By selecting File> Import> Import 3D Symbol  tool.

• By selecting New> 3D Symbol  from the contextual menu in the Library Browser. See Using the Contextual Menus.

• By dragging and dropping the file from an operating system window into floor plan view.

3D .dxf/.dwg files can only be imported by selecting File> Import> Import 3D Symbol . See Import 3D Symbol Dialog.

Symbols imported by clicking and dragging are imported for use in the current plan, while those imported using the Import 3D Symbol dialog can also be saved in the library. See The Library.

To drag and drop a 3D symbol file

1. Open the plan in which you would like to import a 3D symbol and remain in floor plan view.

2. Open an operating system window in front of the Chief Architect program window.

3. Resize and position the window so that the Chief Architect program window can be seen behind it.

4. Click on the desired .3ds, .obj .stl, .dae, or .skp file and drag it into the Chief Architect program window.

5. When your cursor changes to a +, click in the drawing area to place as many copies of the symbol as desired. When you are finished, select a different tool.

Symbols imported by clicking and dragging are imported as generic stand-alone interior fixtures. If you wish to assign different characteristics to a symbol, use the Import 3D Symbol dialog to import it.

Here's a video showing how to import a 3D symbol (window well) into a CA plan:

https://video.chiefarchitect.com/player/player.php?id=1336&th=1&autoplay=

Here's a link to Chief's knowledge base articles on symbols:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/database.html

There are three pedestal type round wood tables in the 3D warehouse with the following file designations:

small+dining+table.skp (SketchUp2016)

wood+table.skp (SketchUp2016)

turned+pedestal+table.skp (SketchUp2016)

None of these look exactly like the one in your photo but are similar in appearance.