Curious. Can you notch the bottom of a stair stringer?

DianeP

Does anyone know if in real life you can cut a little bit out of the bottom of a stair stringer.  I have a client that wants to recess his refrigerator under the stairs a little bit so that it more closely meets the depth of the cabinets,  I have done this with CA using a doorway without casings that is just a little taller and wider than his refrigerator.  It fits and barely clears the stinger.  I was curious if the stringer becomes a problem in maneuvering the refrigerator into place, can they be notched on the bottom.  It wouldn't be a lot, maybe a 3" x 3" notch.  If it can be, what would the maximum amount allowed be?  Thanks!!

Does anyone know if in real life you can cut a little bit out of the bottom of a stair stringer. I have a client that wants to recess his refrigerator under the stairs a little bit so that it more closely meets the depth of the cabinets, I have done this with CA using a doorway without casings that is just a little taller and wider than his refrigerator. It fits and barely clears the stinger. I was curious if the stringer becomes a problem in maneuvering the refrigerator into place, can they be notched on the bottom. It wouldn't be a lot, maybe a 3" x 3" notch. If it can be, what would the maximum amount allowed be? Thanks!!

Totally depends on the situation, length of stair run, whether or not there is additional support or reinforcement, etc. but the short answer is NO. 3" x 3" would remove the vast majority of the remaining structural portion of your average 2x12 stringer...might only leave 1" or so of material to support the stairs in many situations.

Just bear in mind that your not really talking about notching a 2x12 (or whatever the stringers are cut from). Those 2x12s have already been substantially compromised by the triangular notches cut on the top...usually reducing the effective remaining member to around maybe 5" (if memory serves me correctly). So you're really talking about putting a 3" notch in a 5" piece of material.

More than one way to skin a cat (odd expression).  There are several ways to mitigate placing a notch in a stringer - Simpson strong tie etc to reinforce the notched section.  It will require a letter from an engineer most likely for you to do something like that.  You might even get away with sistering dimensional lumber to fix- but depends what your conditions are.

...but as Michael and Alan said its just notching the stringer is a bad idea.

2x14 are pretty much a standard size here. I also use them for floor joists @ 24" o.c. when I attach to existing trusses and cut them off above for a new floor, b/c trusses are usually at 24" o.c. That way the ceiling gets to remain.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Similar question. I have 2 6x6 posts, centered under new deck stairs with Four 2x12 Stringers. I was thinking of notching the 2 center stringers in order to hang/install a 4x6 beam between those posts using Simpson hangers. So the notched stringers would rest squarely on the new beam. Doing this to add more support cuz I have the 4x6 scrap left over, might as well put it to work! Thanks.

On 8/1/2016 at 3:53 PM, DRAWZILLA said:

2x14 are pretty much a standard size here. I also use them for floor joists @ 24" o.c. when I attach to existing trusses and cut them off above for a new floor, b/c trusses are usually at 24" o.c. That way the ceiling gets to remain.

Have never seen 2x14 lumber here however I suppose you could special order anything but don't believe you'll find it in stock in Houston.

On 8/1/2016 at 1:53 PM, DRAWZILLA said:

Yep,  we spec out 2x14's here also.  Especially for stair stringers.  Give us a few years and our stair stringers will be 2x18's.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, solver said:

@TacomaTR

Best to start a new topic in Chatroom since your question is not about using Chief.

Please delete your comment above via Options.

I don’t understand. It’s seems my question is directly in line with the original posters question and all subsequent replies??? None of the replies are about using Chief. It’s a “real life” question almost identical to the original post??? Am I missing something?

I think the answer to the original question depends on the nature of the inspections/permits and/or lack thereof. If it was me at my house over the weekend it would be down right easy to find a way to brace what's left of the stringer. A couple of glued and screwed 3/4" plywood gussets comes to mind. or steel plates, or...Pretty sure whatever the condition I, as most of the builders here, could find a way to make it strong enough to present no future danger. If, on the other hand you are designing the bracing for permits or an inspector all bets are off and you might need an engineer to verify a fix.