Gable End with Step out - how?

SNestor

I'm wondering how to make a stepped out gable end.  Is it possible to turn an attic wall into a pony wall...so that the upper wall is say 6-8" thicker than the lower wall...creating a step out that could be decorated with corbels? 

If you can use a pony wall...then do you use P-Solids or material regions?

See pics of examples below...

post-227-0-41403600-1470002129_thumb.png

post-227-0-65965900-1470002146_thumb.png

I'm wondering how to make a stepped out gable end.  Is it possible to turn an attic wall into a pony wall...so that the upper wall is say 6-8" thicker than the lower wall...creating a step out that could be decorated with corbels? 

If you can use a pony wall...then do you use P-Solids or material regions?

See pics of examples below...

Steve,

Why don't you try it and see if it works.

I tried the pony wall...and could not get it to work. Honestly - I thought someone probably had done it before and would just tell me. I know I could do it with PS but it wouldn't frame.

must be more complicated than I thought. Sometimes getting answers on the forum keeps me from wasting a lot of my time.

You may be seeking Chief to "frame" that detail, but there is no way I know to frame it correctly in Chief unless you manually place framing members.  A pony wall method would only give you a different wall thickness in that area, when in fact that framing is typically added once the wall is framed.

Personally, id use a material region.  I love that tool, and it breaks the siding layer of the main wall.

Guys...thanks for the slap down.  I worked a little harder...and success.  This forum is like a bad drug...kind of makes you just lazy.  

I didn't have the pony wall "main layers" aligned properly.  Figured it out though...so I'm feeling good.

post-227-0-82676600-1470010825_thumb.png

You may be seeking Chief to "frame" that detail, but there is no way I know to frame it correctly in Chief unless you manually place framing members.  A pony wall method would only give you a different wall thickness in that area, when in fact that framing is typically added once the wall is framed.

Personally, id use a material region.  I love that tool, and it breaks the siding layer of the main wall.

I used a pony wall...just took the same wall as below...added a new layer of Fir Stud at 16" oc.  This new layer was not part of the main layer.  I haven't tried to "frame" it...not sure how it would look.  I am going to experiment with using the wall material region.  I think it would be quicker and easier...and in the end really all I would need.  

I've attached my Gable End plan if anyone is interested.  

Gable Step Out Plan.plan

Johnny...I did get it to frame somewhat accurately.  It probably would still need some tweaking...but, at least the studs for the step out showed up.

post-227-0-71139200-1470011421_thumb.png