Question About Selling Chief

portrait

Go to solution Solved by DerekPedersen,

Hello,

I consider selling my X6 additional license, the process looks a little confusing than it was before. The customer representative  i contacted was not helpful at all, so i decided to ask here.

1-) Aside from the 'fantastic' $895 license transfer fee that Chief demands, does anybody know the situation of SSA? My SSA will expire on July 8th, so the new owner of the license will have to renew SSA on this date? Or this $895 includes a new SSA service, so the new owner's SSA cycle will start from the date of the purchase between him/her and me?

2-) Just want to know, what will be the total transfer fee if i sell my both seats to the same person? These are from the 'End User Lic. Agreement':

(b)The transferor or transferee must pay to Chief Architect, Inc. a license transfer fee for each license transferred to complete the process of transfer of ownership;

© You may permanently transfer a current, valid and eligible license for the Software, for which full price was paid. (I paid $2150 for the software, and $395 for SSA, but now SSA is not optional, so the full price is $2695. Will Chief demand 2695-2150 as the transfer fee? What's the transfer fee for this option?)

(d) You may transfer an Additional License and still retain other licenses of the Software only by paying to Chief Architect, Inc. the difference in price between the full retail price of the Software and the net price paid (including discounts and rebates) for each Additional License transferred. (Okay, $895)

3-) What if the buyer already has a Chief license, and wants to buy mine as an additional seat? Is this possible, or one could purchase a discounted additional seat only from Chief Architect Inc.?

Thanks...

No one here will know the answers to those questions.  Even if you found another user who went through the same process, things may have changed or their situation could have been different in some way.  You should call customer service again and ask to talk to someone else.  Then let us know what the answers are.

As far back as I can remember the transfer fee was only $50 if you sold a primary license.  It was always more for secondary or discounted licenses.  I don't really know how SSA figures into it.

Well, having been through this before, it's not an $895 "transfer fee." You are paying to upgrade the additional (previously discounted) license to a full license first. This is the bulk of the cost. I believe that only full licenses may be transferred, but not certain. For me, at least, SSA was optional for the new purchaser but highly recommended.

....... The customer representative  i contacted was not helpful at all, so i decided to ask here........

This is not good.  Typically when I call support,  the guys over there are great,  and I appreciate that.  If you were talking to customer service/sales,  which I did not too long ago,  and you were not happy with the who ever you spoke with as I was not,  this is something I would suggest CA look into.  If there is a pattern here,  I think CA would like to know about this so they can rectify the situation.

This is a lesson I try to keep reminding myself of.  It takes a lot less effort to retain clients/customers than to look for new ones.  I went to the RBI members reception,  they had bad news,  they were reducing our discounts,  they could of had a lot of unhappy guests,  but they faced it face on, listened to the concerns,  acknowledged the concerns,  did not change their business strategy,and because of this, I would bet they did not lose any members.

A little hand holding goes a long way.  I always like to hear about these because it reminds me of what I should be doing.

Sales,  it's a tough business,  but the good sales people do quite well.

Hey Ozgur,  all these questions should and can be answered by CA,  I would suggest you call back and speak with somebody else.  And let us know how helpful that person was.  Overall,  the folks at CA are pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Hi Scott,

I always appreciate the Chief support team who are almost everytime very helpful and polite. But i don't intend to complain about anyone, since these things can always happen. A representative could be ill, angry, upset, or just not in the mood on this day. So no worries, i just hope someone from Chief sees this post, and clarify things.

Also i'm from the other hemisphere where the phone calls to the US is very expensive, and my spoken English ability is not perfect. I sent them an e-mail instead of calling, because i was afraid of misunderstanding. Maybe that was the reason for a little cold and uninterested behaviour. :)

Ozgur is in Turkey by the look of it , so no free 1-800 no# to Idaho for him :(

I thought it was $50 and $400 too , there is an article I read in the knowledge base I read recently about it.....  

that's a healthy upcharge but I guess too many have been "cheating" the system, will make people think about extra licenses a lot more if it can't be resold for a reasonable amount if needed/wanted.

• Solution

Hello,

Here little clarification on the license transfer questions.

The license transfer fee can vary depending on the history of the license.  The transfer fee of a typical primary license (not Academic, National Acct., etc.) is $50.  If the license was purchased at a special price such as a promotion, rebate, additional license discount and some national accounts, the transfer fee is typically the difference between the discounted price and the regular price of the software package.

In general, SSA is not transferrable.  The person who buys the transferred license has the option to add SSA to the license if it is the current version.  If the license is a prior version, the person can upgrade the license which includes 1-year of SSA.

It is always recommended to contact Customer Service to find out what the transfer fee will be on a particular license.

Below is a clip from the Chief Architect End User License Agreement found in the User's Guide with a more in-depth description on the transfer of Chief Architect Software licenses.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Derek

Chief Architect Sales

From the X6 User's Guide:

You may permanently transfer your license to another person or entity only upon written approval by Chief Architect, Inc., and according to the following terms and conditions:

a.  You must fill out and return to Chief Architect, Inc. the Certificate of Transfer of Ownership prior to any transfer of the Software. This is available through the Chief Architect, Inc.’s Customer Service Department. Call Chief Architect, Inc.'s Customer Service Department prior to any transfer in order to receive this document;

b. The transferor or transferee must pay to Chief Architect, Inc. a license transfer fee for each license transferred to complete the  process of transfer of ownership;  Note:  Support and Software Assurance is non-transferable.

c.  You may permanently transfer a current, valid and eligible license for the Software, for which full price was paid. If you received a discount or rebate on the Software, you must pay to Chief Architect, Inc. the difference in price between your discounted price and the full price of the Software for each license transferred. You must deliver the Software to the transferee in its entirety and must not retain any copy of the Software on any computer or storage media, including backup or archival copies;

d.  You may transfer an Additional License and still retain other licenses of the Software only by paying to Chief Architect, Inc. the difference in price between the full retail price of the Software and the net price paid (including discounts and rebates) for each Additional License transferred;

e.  If you own multiple licenses and you wish to transfer a license, the license to be transferred shall be the license for which you received the largest discount or rebate;

f. Your License will automatically terminate upon any transfer of the Software;

g.  If the Software being transferred is an Upgrade, you must cease using all prior versions of the Software, Documentation, and Graphical Files as well. You must uninstall all versions of the software and you may not use or retain any copy of any prior version of the Software;

h.  You may not transfer any earlier versions of Software which have been upgraded;

i.  You may not transfer a license of the Software that was purchased under the Chief Architect National Accounts program;

j.  You may not transfer a Not For Resale (NFR) license of the Software. You also may not transfer a Student or Educational license of the Software;

k.  The recipient of the transfer shall agree to all the terms of the Certificate of Transfer of Ownership as a condition of the transfer.

• Upvote 2