porch needs to extend past the rail/ beam so that columns don't overhang

DianeP

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

Is there a way from the floor plan to set a distance from the rail/ beam to the edge of the concrete for the porch.   I  have larger columns and they hang over the concrete.  How do you handle the porch columns?  Thanks!

You could post your plan so I could take a look but I think you need to adjust your railing "Wall Type" thickness to the size of your Columns or a little larger if you need to recess them.

I just saw your reply and thought I would give it a try as well.  Seems like it would work but the outside of the thicker wall stays put and the beam gets wider towards the inside of the wall.  Therfore, the column still overhangs. 

If you would like me to take a look I will because if you have understood and done this correctly it will move you wall center back from the outside edge of the porch. Is your wall a Railing wall set to be "Post to Beam"?

Eric,  You have used a fairly straight forward workaround here but I am curious as to why it was necessary?  Workarounds will always be necessary for unusual custom situations in Chief but unless there are other factors here I don't understand the need for what you did as Chief has the settings to control this and they are fairly simple to use.  I would also like to know how you did your custom beam that looks so good. Pictured is a Porch room with a 12" column in a 20" single layer Railing Wall.  If you have questions, please post, or contact me if you have time to talk this over as I am working on a  Tech Support Submission for Railing Walls and would like to understand this before submitting.  I struggled with this for a long time and figured it out myself so maybe others don't know about it and I should make a video??

post-4797-0-07782300-1469922986_thumb.jpg

Eric,  Thanks for the schooling, I will experiment with this until I understand it fully.  I was just experimenting with the psolid arched beams while I was waiting for you to respond as I suspected that would be the only way to make it work.  This may be a little off topic but the submission I am working on is for the "Square Half Post" (at Wall) function that has never worked for me.  However I usually do not get the opportunity to use decorative columns and design mostly rustic stuff with posts, but have you ever seen anything as crazy as this for a "Square Half Post".  Now I am not sure what that setting is at all.  I always thought it was for Square rather than Rectangular but maybe it is for Rectangular rather than Round, but would anyone design that way?  Seems strange to me. Attachment #2 is what I understood that function to do or at least what I would like it to do.

Chopsaw

post-4797-0-96344700-1469935357_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-71991500-1469940602_thumb.jpg

Thanks Perry, That could work ok for a ground level porch like Eric and I have illustrated without a railing and then use a blank line style for the railing wall but I had not thought of that since most designs in my area are elevated with railings which it does not work for since the rail and balusters stay in the center of the wall. However this is an excellent way to have a rail offset to the front or back side of thick Newels/Posts. Still not sure exactly the nature of Diane's design but I tried to find a solution that would work for all.

If you would like me to take a look I will because if you have understood and done this correctly it will move you wall center back from the outside edge of the porch. Is your wall a Railing wall set to be "Post to Beam"?

Thank you so much for your offer.  Sorry for the delay in responding.  So busy these days, which is a good thing since I have too clear a recollection of the 2008-2012 home building desert.  Here is an example of what I am talking about on the posts/ columns hanging off the concrete.  I tried widening the railing wall but it just widens the wall from the center and the columns still hang off the concrete.  Would love it if you showed me an easier way than drawing an invisible wall outside of rail. 

Welch DRAW PLAN swap m bed and bathplan.zip

• Solution

Hi Diane,  I had a go at your porch. Hoping you like how this looks .  Building with the Mono Slab gives many more possibilities.  I have attached your fixed plan file, and this is a summary of what I felt was required.

I Set up a new Single Layer 6" Railing Wall Type.

Made your beams 6" to match posts.

Removed Railing Footings.

Increased Mono Slab Footings by 4" for post inset.

Turned on Attic End walls for porch.

Removed Ceiling for more open feel.

Dropped Roof plane 4" for more window clearance and full birdsmouth.

I would also recommend moving the whole porch a foot or two to the right.

Hoping this Helps.

post-4797-0-53269100-1470107501_thumb.jpg

Welch DRAW PLAN swap m bed and bath porch fix.plan

Thanks for working this out for me.  It looks just like I imagined.  couple of questions:  

Can you show some screen shots by chance on how you increased the slab footings by 4". I am a bit confused as i show the before and after footing at 16 wide and 8" deep.  

Also,was it just making the new 6" railing wall that made tje foundation wide enough to let the posts sit on top and not overhang.  So tired right now, my brain is misfiring.  Might be able to get a better idea once I have some sleep.  Thanks again!!!

Hi Diane,  I had a go at your porch. Hoping you like how this looks .  Building with the Mono Slab gives many more possibilities.  I have attached your fixed plan file, and this is a summary of what I felt was required.

I Set up a new Single Layer 6" Railing Wall Type.

Made your beams 6" to match posts.

Removed Railing Footings.

Increased Mono Slab Footings by 4" for post inset.

Turned on Attic End walls for porch.

Removed Ceiling for more open feel.

Dropped Roof plane 4" for more window clearance and full birdsmouth.

I would also recommend moving the whole porch a foot or two to the right.

Hoping this Helps.

Thanks for working this out for me.  It looks just like I imagined.  couple of questions:  

Can you show some screen shots by chance on how you increased the slab footings by 4". I am a bit confused as i show the before and after footing at 16 wide and 8" deep.  

Also,was it just making the new 6" railing wall that made tje foundation wide enough to let the posts sit on top and not overhang.  So tired right now, my brain is misfiring.  Might be able to get a better idea once I have some sleep.  Thanks again!!!

Also,how did  you make the beam 6".  I am trying to recreate in x7 and my beam isn't 6" when I create the new 6" rail wall type.  Thanks!

Told you I was brain dead.  I matched the foundation to the wall above after I made the 6" wall type and it looks right now. 

Also,how did  you make the beam 6".  I am trying to recreate in x7 and my beam isn't 6" when I create the new 6" rail wall type.  Tha

Told you I was brain dead.  I matched the foundation to the wall above after I made the 6" wall type and it looks right now. 

Still can't recreate the 6" beam on top of the new railing.  I have newels, wall and foundation set to 6" but beam still is narrower.  Is there somewhere else I have to go to change this? 

Soo Sorry Diane,  I did not know you were X7, I can recreate for you if you like?

Question 1- Go to Foundation Level and adjust from attachment 1 to 2

Question 2- Beam is not part of wall definition. See railing DBX attachment 3

6" Single Layer Wall Definition.  See attachment 4

Don't worry about railing footings that I mentioned, somehow they were created when I accidently imported the file into X8. I just updated to W 10 and the options for checking versions are not the same.

post-4797-0-67455600-1470193915_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-53978700-1470193919_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-99687800-1470193921_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-62718700-1470194932_thumb.jpg

Welch DRAW PLAN swap m bed and bath fix X7.plan