Line Z Height

johnny

I've seen scott use normal lines in section to get the Z height of the line.  However, all it lists is the X/Y in any of the data options.  I thought perhaps Y was the actual "Z" but that doesn't seem to be the case since I placed a poly solid next to the line at the exact same Y value and it comes up short.

Is there some other value I should be using?  In Vectorworks everything drawn with "Z" value actually simply lists the "Z" value, so I am stumped how Chief is displaying the values.

post-75-0-61459400-1469906095_thumb.jpg

Johnny,  What does the Z value display as on your Status Bar when you zoom in on an elevation view and place your cross hairs on the line vs. the top of the psolid?

Interesting.  Yes, it shows the Psolid @ 121 3/4" - which seems correct.  This led me to see that there is a floor elevation ref, and changing to absolute works.

However, that makes little sense since my floor is set to 2x10 joists etc etc...so that number is just all together wrong.

Got it working though.

Johnny,

The height the cad line is always relative to Chiefs zero floor height.

The height of the polysolid is relative to the terrain - because it is outside the building (no floor under the object). 

Use Absolute to avoid the difference.

The floor structure shouldn't make any difference.

Try drawing an object inside a room with Relative to Floor set, and then drag it outside the room so that it only over the terrain - it's height will change.

Johnny,

The height the cad line is always relative to Chiefs zero floor height.

The height of the polysolid is relative to the terrain - because it is outside the building (no floor under the object). 

Use Absolute to avoid the difference.

The floor structure shouldn't make any difference.

Try drawing an object inside a room with Relative to Floor set, and then drag it outside the room so that it only over the terrain - it's height will change.

Is there a way to set my default plan so that certain things are absolute?

Johnny, That would be great but I don't think it is an option.  For now just make sure you have a terrain before you start drawing things outside the house perimeter or when you do set it up adjust it to 0" and all will be fine.

I've seen scott use normal lines in section to get the Z height of the line.  However, all it lists is the X/Y in any of the data options.  I thought perhaps Y was the actual "Z" but that doesn't seem to be the case since I placed a poly solid next to the line at the exact same Y value and it comes up short.

Is there some other value I should be using?  In Vectorworks everything drawn with "Z" value actually simply lists the "Z" value, so I am stumped how Chief is displaying the values.

Johnny, you are in a 2D view. There is no 3rd 'D' or Z axis in that view.

Johnny, you are in a 2D view. There is no 3rd 'D' or Z axis in that view.

Yeah I am realizing that with Chief...which is kinda odd since other apps you move items in 3D space no matter your view orientation (like Sketchup you have global X/Y/Z in all views represented by colors). In Chief if you set a 2D view of your 3d model its as if the X/Y for 2d only.

However, there is an inconsistency with Chief in this regard. If you have the same line you are using the "Y" to get your "Z" value, but then you go to do a "move" operation, you must insert a "Z" value and NOT a "Y" value to move along that axis.  So in one window the line is set by the "Y" value and the other you move it via the "Z" value.

Yeah I am realizing that with Chief...which is kinda odd since other apps you move items in 3D space no matter your view orientation (like Sketchup you have global X/Y/Z in all views represented by colors). In Chief if you set a 2D view of your 3d model its as if the X/Y for 2d only.

However, there is an inconsistency with Chief in this regard. If you have the same line you are using the "Y" to get your "Z" value, but then you go to do a "move" operation, you must insert a "Z" value and NOT a "Y" value to move along that axis.  So in one window the line is set by the "Y" value and the other you move it via the "Z" value.

Is that really that confusing?? or odd that one software application would work differently than another? When I work in Sketchup I simply adapt to its way of doing things. I don't post about how it should work like Chief. Seems such a small and easy thing to get used to, not really sure what the real issue is.

I also don't think that 'lines' can be added or moved in a 3D view so how would they be moved using the 'Z' axis?

Is that really that confusing?? or odd that one software application would work differently than another? When I work in Sketchup I simply adapt to its way of doing things. I don't post about how it should work like Chief. Seems such a small and easy thing to get used to, not really sure what the real issue is.

I also don't think that 'lines' can be added or moved in a 3D view so how would they be moved using the 'Z' axis?

...it should be odd that Chief isn't consistent with itself, and that should be an obvious problem.  To move that same line with the move tool one uses the "Z" coordinate, and yet its the "Y" coordinate in the line specification Dbx - all in the same view.

AND we are talking about all known apps i've used that keep X/Y/Z movement standard.  Live sections are not 2d.  If it was as simple as this one feature (or even a handful of features) then it wouldn't be a big deal.  Unfortunately this app is plagued by oddities in which the sum of those oddities do become a big deal.  I see similar posts all the time by you about these issues.

I'm confused. You are in a 3D view and moving a line with the 'Z' coordinate? I'm not saying you're not, but I don't see how that's possible. How do you draw a line in a 3D view? How do you select it? Move it? Can you show an example? (You must be talking about something else because the line tool isn't even available in 3D views, that I can find anyway)

...and Johnny, big deals are not inherently BIG, they are always as big as you make them. Learning a new program that does things differently than the norm is not a big deal - unless you make it one.

Chief's lines and arcs are 2D CAD - they don't have 3D coordinates.  They only exist in the x/y coordinate system of the view - but there could be a point made that when in a Elevation/Section view the vertical direction should be "z". 

For sure the x coordinate of a line in an Elevation/Section view has no coordination with the x/y coordinate system of the Plan View.  I think the reality is that when using 2D CAD you have to look at the coordinates relative to the screen, not the 3D model space.

Chief's lines and arcs are 2D CAD - they don't have 3D coordinates.  They only exist in the x/y coordinate system of the view - but there could be a point made that when in a Elevation/Section view the vertical direction should be "z". 

I agree - it should be Z, but regardless Chief should have it consistent. 

This is my point Larry -

I think the key is to look at the cursor coordinates (3D) vs the line coordinates (2D) in a left or right side Elevation View.  But then, take a section view at a 45 degree angle and look at those coordinates.

I'm not sure there's really a good way to reconcile the 2D CAD to a 3D Coordinate system.

I'm not sure there's really a good way to reconcile the 2D CAD to a 3D Coordinate system.

I personally think the line has a "z" coordinate if drawn in elevation or section.  In other apps I use a line is a line in 3D space no matter what view. 

Overall this alone isnt a huge deal though as others mentioned.