solver

Items Moving After Terrain Added

P-Solids in place and elevation referenced from Floor.

Added terrain, and they dropped. I'm confused.

Is this normal?

post-1284-0-87397600-1469893211_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look normal to me.  Can you post the plan?  I seem to recall Johnny was having a similar problem with p-solids a little while back but I don't think I've ever seen the same behavior in any of my own plans. 

If they sit over the terrain and not a floor then the from floor measurement doesn't effect it. You have to use from terrain or at least compensate for the terrain.

I think it's 'normal' and intended but not expected. I would expect every item to be measured from the floor no matter where it's located.

P-Solids in place and elevation referenced from Floor.

Added terrain, and they dropped. I'm confused.

Is this normal?

attachicon.gifmat 1.jpg

The FLOOR is the TERRAIN in your example,  does that make sense?

If they sit over the terrain and not a floor then the from floor measurement doesn't effect it. You have to use from terrain or at least compensate for the terrain.

I think it's 'normal' and intended but not expected. I would expect every item to be measured from the floor no matter where it's located.

Interesting.  I never noticed that behavior before.  I guess it makes sense though.  How is the p-solid supposed to know which floor its referenced from otherwise?  Answer:  It can't...especially if we have multiple room structure heights floor heights on the same floor/level.

post-46-0-89880100-1469894811_thumb.jpg

Yes, sort of. The list of possible references includes both Floor and Terrain. 

There was no Floor or Terrain under these when drawn. I'm thinking that only valid options should be shown.

Absolute seems to be the only one valid when drawn.

I should have changed the elevation reference to Absolute.

I also think they should not move in any case, except when the elevation reference moves.

Eric,  I think if I remember correctly Scott Harris suggested recently that there is a bit of a known issue with this sort of thing and the program gets a little confused at times and bad things can happen.  However if you set your  "Subfloor Height Above Terrain"  value to 0" then this avoids a lot of issues of things that can happen when items are not draw in the correct sequence.  Not sure if this can be set as a default but I have always reset this manually when I have a Terrain.