Limiting Decimal Spaces for Areas

dshall

OK guys,

Create an "Owner Context" - "Evaluated" macro named "Area Rounded" with the following contents:

x = area.round(0)

then use that macro in the Polyline Label.

I agree that 7 decimal places is too much and Chief should change that to 2-3 decimal places but with a user macro you have control.  In addition, you actually get the numerical value so it's possible to do math calculations within the macro.

....Create an "Owner Context" - "Evaluated" macro named "Area Rounded" with the following contents:

x = area.round(0)

then use that macro in the Polyline Label.

Joe,  I wish I new how to do what you are recommending,  but I don't.  i am not a programmer and I do not have time to learn.  I am looking for the answer.  I would like to hire you in about 2 weeks to get this crap worked out and then I will share in a video with others.

I wish the designers and the  programmers could stick to what they do best.

My question is, how did this ever get out off the software engineer's desk and in to the program? And then remain in the program after a couple of updates? Really strange thinking IMO.

I don't get it either.  

Yes!

I'd love a setting for this.

The builder asked me to confirm that we needed 85.4541016 square feet of tile for the bathroom.

I asked him if my estimate was not accurate enough.

LOL,  I am  going through this now with a site analysis of pervious and impervious areas.  I do not need any decimal spaces,  I am not a mechanical engineer.  The closest tolerance I am expected is to the whole number.

Joe,  I wish I new how to do what you are recommending,  but I don't.  

DSH just paste the text Joe provided in to the "Value" of the macro and select "Owner Object" from the context drop down.

Thanks Joe !!!!

DSH just paste the text Joe provided in to the "Value" of the macro and select "Owner Object" from the context drop down.

Thanks Joe !!!!

Would it be possible to show a picture of the macro with Joe's fix shown and a pic of where I am to find this macro?  Thanks.

Joe you're showing area.round(0) instead of x=area.round(0) is the x= needed?

only if you wanted to perform additional calculations.  A macro returns the value of the last line.

So if you wanted to multiply by some other value you could do this:

x = area.round(0)

x/3

which would display 1/3 of the area but that wouldn't be rounded.  If you wanted the result rounded you would change it to:

x = area

(x/3).round(0)

or you could write the macro as

(area/3).round(0)

only if you wanted to perform additional calculations.  A macro returns the value of the last line.

So if you wanted to multiply by some other value you could do this:

x = area.round(0)

x/3

which would display 1/3 of the area but that wouldn't be rounded.  If you wanted the result rounded you would change it to:

x = area

(x/3).round(0)

or you could write the macro as

(area/3).round(0)

Thx

BTW, some Polyline based objects (Roads, Driveways, Sidewalks, Slabs, Countertops, etc) have Default Labels that you can assign a macro to so that any time you create one of those objects it is automatically labeled.  All of those have the area attribute.

My question is, how did this ever get out off the software engineer's desk and in to the program? And then remain in the program after a couple of updates? Really strange thinking IMO.

^^^^this.  its crazy since it would probably take all of 2 min. to fix for them.