4K Ultra HD TV with Chief

mscpbd

Do any of you have any experience using a 4K tv as a monitor?  I picked up a 40" Samsung tv for use as a monitor for $297. I can finally lean back in my chair because I can see so well but the resolution is wrecking havoc with my eyes.  I'm used to a 24" 2800k monitor but my graphics card can go up to 4K.  I'd like to see if the 4K is going to be that much of an improvement in clarity. Any thoughts?

Debra

I know one of the guys is using a 50" 4K TV.  I think it's Bill Emery and there was a discussion in the old Chieftalk.  I've been considering getting one and mounting it on a drafting table so I can stand - or sit on a stool - and be looking down.  That position really relieves the neck and shoulder strain.  The increased real estate should eliminate any need for a second monitor.

If all else is equal then it just comes down to DPI/PPI (dots/pixel per inch) density. That info will be in the manual. If the new 4k set is equal or greater than your other monitor then it will be equally or of better clarity/resolution). However, a TV is not the same as a Monitor so you will most likely have to make a personal judgment on whether or not you like what you see.

Graham

I tried a 4K 30" monitor and it was horrible. I took it back and got a pair of smaller 27" monitors that I could run in their native resolutions. Unless you can work at the native resolution (which means everything will be tiny for a 4K monitor, unless it's maybe 50" or so), any image scaling will result in blurriness, especially in Windows 10. (Windows 7&8 are better.) This is not the case for programs designed to run in 4K, but not too many of those, yet.

If your graphics card can display at 4K resolution, you'll probably love it.  And, if your graphic card supports it, then you probably also have HDMI video output capability as well.  That said, there is a reasonability issue at hand.  If you're going to try to get 4K's worth of real estate (3840 x 2160 in the TV world), then a small-size 4K TV will probably also mean using a magnifying glass to see the details.  :-)  4K TV's are a joy to watch when they're filling up a lot of physical size (e.g. larger TV's) with their ample pixels.  So, consider both the size of the 4K TV and the output of your video card.  For instance, a newer 15" MacBook Pro with their "Retina" display natively outputs at 2880 x 1800 which, although not filling the entirety of the 4K capabilities, looks fan-freaking-tastic on a 4K TV.  And, while the Retina display provides beautiful clarity on a 15" screen, there's no way I could work at that resolution and still see anything I'm working on, which means that that same resolution on a large external screen would be a joy ... you know ... if I could scoot back far enough to feel like I wasn't working at an iMAX theater.

Very nice, Terry, heck of a laptop to run all that

Thanks Perry, much thanks to yourself and all the other pros that contribute to the forums. A special thanks to my personal instructor Yusuf great instructor I recommend highly, without you all I could not have made this home show happen in such a short time, less than 6 months on the learning curve. BIG success! Chief and I and my 4 Ks out performed my competition by far, this home show had never seen anything like it. We are working on several big screens in our office, and it's real impressive when you go mobile and take to them to banks and agents, appraiser, etc, I have suit cases I lug around. I tired a couple of 4K tvs bottom line is you get what you pay for as usual. The big screens are getting lighter and thinner that is big to me, we still needed two guys at both ends to get that big boy in. We had it high on a table so weight was important too, without damage.  

Yusuf, if you are reading this, I'm working on a big development I'll probably need your help with soon.