attic wall not building

SNestor

Ok...well, I've messed with something and now simple attic walls won't build.  I have to go into the attic and open the attic wall...then select ok...I get a message stating the attic wall will be rebuilt.  

So...what did I screw up to have this happening?

Thanks...sorry to bother you all with such a lame thing.  

post-227-0-63028400-1469653468_thumb.png

post-227-0-40135500-1469653545_thumb.png

The attic walls are there...because if you select them, open the DBX, check ok...the attic wall rebuilds and voila...there they are.  I've checked every darn setting.  I think the template must have gotten corrupted or something.  

I could have created a new template in the time I've spent trying to figure out why this is happening.  

Tech support suggested opening each attic wall and then simply clicking OK to close. The attic walls then regenerate. They do not know why they don't without that step but that seems to solve it.

That change seems to persist after a plan 'save' so it should be good to use as a template.

Tech support suggested opening each attic wall and then simply clicking OK to close. The attic walls then regenerate. They do not know why they don't without that step but that seems to solve it.

That change seems to persist after a plan 'save' so it should be good to use as a template.

The answer is to open each gable end wall and regenerate...really?  That's really not a solution I would expect to hear from CA.  

The attic walls should just work.  Actually...they used to work just fine in this template.  That is why I assumed I have done something which created this problem.  But...maybe not.  Maybe it's just a CA glitch...it happens.  

If I open a OOB template plan...any of them...the attic walls generate like they are supposed to.  So...it's my template that is the problem...not a system setting in CA. 

The answer is to open each gable end wall and regenerate...really?  That's really not a solution I would expect to hear from CA.  

The attic walls should just work.  Actually...they used to work just fine in this template.  That is why I assumed I have done something which created this problem.  But...maybe not.  Maybe it's just a CA glitch...it happens.  

If I open a OOB template plan...any of them...the attic walls generate like they are supposed to.  So...it's my template that is the problem...not a system setting in CA. 

It might have been something you did and it might not be, but just because one of your actions initiates buggy behavior doesn't mean its on you or your plan.  CA still needs to address it.  Have you sent in a report?  If not, please do.  I saw a similar behavior recently in a plan from another user where attic walls were building with a slope across the bottom and the only fix was to open them and click okay.  In that particular plan the attic walls also wouldn't easily delete even after the roof was removed.   The program shouldn't behave that way no matter where the problem started.  PLEASE report problems like these.

I'm pretty sure the tech person didn't intend it as a 'solution' but merely a short term fix as they looked into the reason the problem exists in the first place. It's definitely a bug and unintended  behavior and the problem has been entered into their database.

Have you sent in a report?

I sent it in this morning along with the railing gap issue I was having. Tech support got back to me within 20 minutes with the advice I posted. They were not saying that Chief should behave this way, just that the solution offered would fix things short term while they looked into the issue further.

And oh yeah, no need to thank all the posters who have helped out, we donate our time to help the best we can. :P

You can change any number of different things and they will come back.  Its really just opening and closing the dbx that's doing it.

Well, I gave him the option of not closing and re-opening all the time

Thank you all for help/advice.  I haven't sent in to tech support...but, it looks like Larry has.  Since I'm such a newb...my default guess is always that I've screwed something up...changed a setting thinking it would improve thing but found it didn't...time passes and I don't remember what I did.  

Oh well...I still love this program and things like this just forces me to dig into things...which in the end makes me understand how the software works...and doesn't work.   

not quite the same problem

No its not but it was definitely similar.  Attic walls not behaving for no apparent reason...open the wall and simply click okay and they build fine. 

Well, I gave him the option of not closing and re-opening all the time

Perry, thank you for trying, but with all due respect you're not fixing the problem.  Not in this thread or in that last one.  Your suggested solution doesn't offer any improvement over simply opening the dbx and clicking okay.  Go ahead and test it out.  And besides, even if it did, its still not an actual solution.  There is obviously a problem that needs to be addressed within Chief and chalking it up to user error isn't the answer in either case. 

...I haven't sent in to tech support...but, it looks like Larry has. 

Please send it in yourself as well.  The more reports they have of problems like this, the better.  They may ask you some questions about things you have done that help get to the bottom of it. 

I sent it in this morning along with the railing gap issue I was having. Tech support got back to me within 20 minutes with the advice I posted. They were not saying that Chief should behave this way, just that the solution offered would fix things short term while they looked into the issue further.

And oh yeah, no need to thank all the posters who have helped out, we donate our time to help the best we can. :P

Hey now...I'm thankful for all the posters who help out.   You should know...I donate about as much time as almost anyone here.  Thank you for sending those things in though.  Its a huge help for all of us. 

Michael, all programs have these quarks once in a while ,so you will never eliminate those, but as in all cases, if I'm not having any problems like that then I suspect user error.

I feel the same way. I don't have these problems either. But I think the bottom line is that it doesn't really matter if it was user error that caused the problem or not. If the program is obviously misbehaving we should try to do our part to get it fixed. The last thing I want is to downplay it and then eventually run into the problem myself and end up with this workaround where attic walls won't rebuild properly. Please don't take offense to my statements either Perry, this is just one issue that really hits a sore spot with me. I don't know how many wasted hours I've seen on this forum where people complain and complain about problems or where the same issue gets brought up time and time again yet it seems like maybe only 1 out of 5 people ever take time to report it and when one of the most well known and vocal users tells someone it's just user error they're just further hampering those numbers (and the program) from improving.

Once again thanks all for taking the time to try and help me out.  Very much appreciated.

I did send in a support request.  We will see what they discover.  

In this case...I don't think it's user error...(although that is always my first guess).  I don't manually build attic walls...and all the other templates in Chief work just fine.  I draw 4 walls, put the roof on...boom, gable walls.  Chief works just like it's supposed to.  So...maybe I screwed up a setting...but, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.