turn fascia off on selected edges?

brian-sdesign

When you are done framing you can remove any fascia manually, but don't try to re-frame the roof plane, or it will come back. This is something I have been asking for a lot of years now. we really need to be able to uncheck fascia on any given roof plane segment not just the whole thing. also sometimes the rafters will show below the ceiling when the program really needs to cut off the bottom of the rafter level with the ceiling, no matter what size the rafter is. Long time bug.

ALL depends on how you building the roof. During building in the Framing panel uncheck Eave and Gable Fascia and Eave Sub Fascia. You can set the roof settings and manually place just one plane. If you already built the roof plane, and your cuts are correct follow Perry and delete the fascia board.

Again if you reframe - it will come back. 

first turn off auto roof framing, then in a framing plan (for me)turn on all roof framing items, turn off all Ceiling framing select the fascia, and delete. I usually do a lot of other framing mods at that time, as it is done and I have no more changes from the client, but sometimes I do have to re-frame and do it again, PIA if you ask me. BTW-look to the left bottom corner to see you have actually selected the fascia.

first turn off auto roof framing, then in a framing plan (for me)turn on all roof framing items, turn off all Ceiling framing select the fascia, and delete. I usually do a lot of other framing mods at that time, as it is done and I have no more changes from the client, but sometimes I do have to re-frame and do it again, PIA if you ask me. BTW-look to the left bottom corner to see you have actually selected the fascia.

Okay, I thought I had this but still no luck. When I do a framing overview I only see the sub-fascia and deleting this does not delete the actual fascia. I can turn on the roof trim layer and this allows me to delete the shadow board but still no go on the actual fascia

This is something I've had to do from time to time as well. In away from my computer now but I think the only ways to remove the fascia are through the roof plane dbx by either...

A. Turning the fascia off entirely for that plane or...

B. Decreasing the size of the fascia to at or near zero.

can the roof planes be easily split into two planes? The problem is I need fascia on the downhill side, its where it joins the steeper roof pitch that it needs to go away. Or another example, at valleys.. obviously you don't want fascia at valleys but I built all my roof planes manually, not using auto roof so I've got a lot of this same thing going on everywhere. There has got to be a way!

can the roof planes be easily split into two planes? The problem is I need fascia on the downhill side, its where it joins the steeper roof pitch that it needs to go away. Or another example, at valleys.. obviously you don't want fascia at valleys but I built all my roof planes manually, not using auto roof so I've got a lot of this same thing going on everywhere. There has got to be a way!

It sounds like what you need to do is learn to use the Join Roof Planes tool.

Also, just to clarify something. Perry was deleting FRAMING in his video. As I stated above, he actually had to turn off the FASCIA in the dbx.

Yes, I believe you guys are correct.. my roofs are not as clean as I would like them. The problem is they are fairly complex and with my limited amount of expertise I can't seem to get many of them to join. If there are any tips on how to get these complex roof planes into joining please let me know.

So Perry, if I am understanding correctly you are not using fascia, and instead are using your subfascia as your finish fascia? I gave this a quick look into but the problem seems to be if you have a hand stack roof, the birdsmouth is based on the subfascia height. Correct or wrong? This is what seemed to be happening. I have a large fascia at 16" deep and when i set my subfascia to this deep it seems to cause problems.

Yes the sub-fascia controls the rafter depth at the eaves only, in most cases. if you have a 2x12 rafter but only want a 2x4 depth at the eaves, it will work but if you have a 2x12 rafter ,you can lower the top plate for full bearing on the top plate instead of a 4" bearing.

Chief still need to work on this ,as sometimes it gets difficult to do when you have one portion of a roof plane you want different. We use to be able to select the fascia or the sub-fascia separately and just delete one or the other in a framing view, somehow Chief changed that for the worse. Now the fascia became part of the roof DBX and you can't select in a framing view. I really need to be able to delete the fascia in a framing view without having to turn it off. Of course you could use a separate roof plane for that. We need to be able to adjust the fascia and trim on just a portion of a roof plane.

Thanks for taking the time Eric. I took a look at your roofs and while they do join better they are not correct as far as which roofs frame down to bearing walls and which roofs extend over those roofs and switch to over-framing. So I have many situations where I have one roof that needs to extend over the top of another roof and "trim" to the roof. Using the join function cuts off the lower roof which is not what im looking for. Am I going about this the wrong way?

Here is the plan I worked on.

On the roof, pull adjacent roof planes back a bit before trying to join them.

You will need a break in some where one plane intersects 2 others.

attachicon.gifKintz Residence Current Framed 2 (eric).zip

So I have many situations where I have one roof that needs to extend over the top of another roof and "trim" to the roof. Using the join function cuts off the lower roof which is not what im looking for. Am I going about this the wrong way?

Brian,

If you can't use the Join Roof Planes tool because it is removing part of the roofs that you want to retain, you can use Roof Intersection Points to locate where the roofs intersect.

You can then manually edit the roof planes by snapping them to the Roof Intersection Points.

I assume that you have Roof Intersection Points toggled off.

Go Preferences...Architectural...Roofs...check Automatically Place Roof Intersection Points.

Now when you click on a roof and then a second roof, you will see a red point auto generated. This is the intersection point of the 2 roofs.

You can place the toolbar icon for Delete Temporary Points on a toolbar to clean the points up as you go - otherwise your plans will look like DSH's! 

Brian,

If you can't use the Join Roof Planes tool because it is removing part of the roofs that you want to retain, you can use Roof Intersection Points to locate where the roofs intersect.

You can then manually edit the roof planes by snapping them to the Roof Intersection Points.

I assume that you have Roof Intersection Points toggled off.

Go Preferences...Architectural...Roofs...check Automatically Place Roof Intersection Points.

Now when you click on a roof and then a second roof, you will see a red point auto generated. This is the intersection point of the 2 roofs.

You can place the toolbar icon for Delete Temporary Points on a toolbar to clean the points up as you go - otherwise your plans will look like DSH's! 

Wow! That is a huge help. Thanks a bunch. I'm still missing some basics apparently.

• 2 months later...

Just coming across this issue myself now - the shed upper needs to be able to be defined as a plumb cut/square cut separately from the downhill end. Also turning off the fascia here so that I get an accurate section drawing. I can already turn the shadow boards off... which is helpful, but not everything I need.

As far as deleting it, I can't find a way to select it. From what I can tell, the FASCIA trim board lives on the Roof Planes layer and is turned on/off based on that layer visibility. I can, however, select and delete the SUBFASCIA. I can also delete the FRIEZE board.

I would consider this a small bug but gets back to one of those core usability things.