Window and Door Height

tennball81

I am designing my first house with 9' ceilings throughout. What is the best window and door heights for 9' ceilings. I have read 7'8" for windows but then my doors will be lower at the normal 6'8". Or do I get 8' doors and go with even taller windows. This is a house that we are building to sell and want to do it the most cost effective way. Thanks in advance!

Will it look weird to have lets say 3/0x5/0 windows at 7'8" and doors at 6'8"? Price is one thing but looking bad is a whole other thing and I do want to make sure this thing will sell. We are talking about a lake front home with a sale price of almost $400k and a build budget of $200k-$250k.

If I go with 8' what size windows would look the best 3/0x6/0? I'm assuming on a 9' wall in order to get an 8' RO height it would be framed with a 2x10 header with a plate on the bottom of the header. That would give I believe a 98 3/8" RO height and my book here calls for 98.25 RO for an 8' tall door. The widest opening I would have is 8' wide and 2x10 will be fine on that. 

Side note I would also have to worry about my soffit if I go 8' unless I set the trusses on a knee wall or something to get the extra height correct? 

I am designing my first house with 9' ceilings throughout. What is the best window and door heights for 9' ceilings. I have read 7'8" for windows but then my doors will be lower at the normal 6'8". Or do I get 8' doors and go with even taller windows. This is a house that we are building to sell and want to do it the most cost effective way. Thanks in advance!

If you goo in the middle and use 7'-0 yu will find more doors a t a beter price cause that is sort of commercial std.

Could always put a transom on exterior doors...heck even interior ones too if you like. I agree that 7' is easier to find but choice is yours. Did a custom home with varying ceilings of 12' or greater and all doors were 10' height. 

post-5076-0-53355400-1469631254_thumb.jpgpost-5076-0-23916600-1469631268_thumb.jpgpost-5076-0-48724500-1469631151_thumb.jpgI was looking at other builder pics around the area that I am building this house in and by some of the pics it looks like people are putting in 8' sliders and hanging there windows at 7'8". What do you guys think of this look? this is pretty much the same design house I am doing. 

just make your soffits smaller or don't use one, Ceilings at 9' windows at 8' or do it your way. no problem. interior doors at 6'8" is ok if that's the look your after, or budget dictates a less expensive is needed. I would use 8' doors throughout, if it was my call.

]So I believe I am going to do all windows and doors at 8' in the rear and side. All my windows in front I am going to do at 7'8" b/c I have a 3/0 exterior door into my laundry room with a window in it. I don't think a 3/0x8/0 door would look good here. Does this look odd at all? And then in the back I did 8/0x8/0 sliders. Good idea or something different?? Thanks for all the feedback. It has really helped! 

post-5076-0-19170800-1469642945_thumb.jpg

post-5076-0-92025800-1469643164_thumb.jpg

remember that if you put your windows at 8' high , you need to make some ,in the bedrooms, deeper for egress. Kitchen window also. I actually enlarge every window so the bottoms are where a normal 80" high window would be.

Ken thanks for the feedback. I have a meeting on Monday with my supplier and will be checking the price for both ways, 8' doors or 6'8" door with 12" transom. Then I could hang everything at 7'8" and for sure not have a soffit problem. 

Thanks Sherry!! I am going to run all the numbers to see what the difference is going to be!! My wife said she thinks she like the look of the transom over top the slider and then just do tall windows. So we might go ahead and just do 6'8" slider with 16' transom and put them at 8'? If this is even available through my supplier. I will know on Monday. Or just do the 12" transom and keep them at 7'8" or heck just do 8' who knows!! lol