Strange Notches in Exterior Wall...

HumbleChief

I would be interested in finding out how others deal with this.

My choice would be one wall type,  put in a door opening,  and then use any number of options to build the railing.

Larry has a wall,  then a railing,  then a wall,  then a railing then a wall......  

post-50-0-86609600-1469566491_thumb.png

You know,  this is CA 101. Why is Larry asking this question?  Why don't we know how to handle this without question ?  I am not knocking Larry,  I am just asking why he even needs to ask such a basic question.  We do this all the time.  I have my method,  but is it the one everybody else uses?  

I will be very interested in finding out how others handle this situation.  

Thank you Larry for asking the question.

Heck,  the real question is  why does Larry's railing wall leave such a mess?  Hasn't anybody sent this in to be fixed,  ( I have not because I use a different method).  But seriously,  why is Larry's railing screwing up the stucco below?

Actually after reading Larry's original post again.

Just change the Windows to "Pass-Thru's" resize so they go all the way to the Floor, remove casings, etc and place a "No Room Definition" railing wall in each opening. 

Pretty much what Scott was saying except that I just edited the existing windows.

Here's what he said in the 1st post:

I removed 2 windows and want to replace with a railing using the same opening sizes.

So you did not open his plan.  No problem,  I was just wondering if I missed something.

Sorry guys, I had to bail out for a few hours and thanks for the replies. I agree there are always a few ways to do things and will have to try a couple different techniques as it doesn't look like this technique will work but I think the question isn't why I can't figure out something so simple (I can and will) but more what is Chief doing to cause this anomaly that IMO should NOT be there?

Why can't a user combine a railing wall with a regular exterior wall? Why is there a gap where the walls meet? Why doesn't a material region mask that gap? Is that expected? Or simply not allowed in Chief for some unknown reason?

Again, many ways to 'work around' this but why should there need to be a way around this simple combination of railing and exterior walls?

Yes this is a railing connection issue.  Has anyone ever been able to make the "Square Half Post" option for Rail Style work properly and display in 3D.  If so please share.  If not I would suggest that in this situation the railing is attaching to the main layer and therefore causing display issues below the railing and also the reason the Square Half Post will not display correctly because it is always half way inside the adjoining wall. 

If no resolution is found for existing scenario please report to tech.

post-4797-0-71719000-1469588379_thumb.jpg

My choice would be one wall type, put in a door opening, and then use any number of options to build the railing.

Larry has a wall, then a railing, then a wall, then a railing then a wall......

I think I agree with you. I also agree with Johnny that this should be considered a bug and reported. Even if they decide it's not a bug, it needs to be addressed.

Chopsaw,

I deleted that post and this is the repost with some changes.

I was probably out surfing 8 hours ago!

I am not sure this is a bug, but it is one of those Chief intricacies. It is caused mainly by the use of a multilayered wall for the railing wall.

Larry,

Try this.

Instead of creating your railing wall from your standard .Stucco-4 Existing wall - which is a 3 layered wall, create a new single layered wall 5" thick, and use that for the railing walls.

Having a single layer wall prevents the stucco (or external layer) from building down in the floor space below.

This is creating the rectangles in the floor space under the railing walls, which are visible in vector view.

Now, go to level 1 and select the wall below, check "Balloon Through Ceiling Above". 

Do the same for the small side wall to clean them up as well.

Things should look perfect in both vector and standard views - in fact all the render modes.

post-106-0-79601100-1469605093_thumb.jpg

Chopsaw,

I deleted that post and this is the repost with some changes.

I was probably out surfing 8 hours ago!

I am not sure this is a bug, but it is one of those Chief intricacies. It is caused mainly by the use of a multilayered wall for the railing wall.

Larry,

Try this.

Instead of creating your railing wall from your standard .Stucco-4 Existing wall - which is a 3 layered wall, create a new single layered wall 5" thick, and use that for the railing walls.

Having a single layer wall prevents the stucco (or external layer) from building down in the floor space below.

This is creating the rectangles in the floor space under the railing walls, which are visible in vector view.

Now, go to level 1 and select the wall below, check "Balloon Through Ceiling Above".

Do the same for the small side wall to clean them up as well.

Things should look perfect in both vector and standard views - in fact all the render modes.

You offer a good solution Glenn but I would still consider this an issue that should be addressed regardless of whether or not it's normal Chief behavior. I personally see no logical reason it cannot or should not work without the strange connection issue.

Michael,

I am not saying it can't be improved, but wouldn't you expect some problems if you built a railing wall composed of multiple layers?

No, I don't think so, not really...especially when it's connected to a wall of the same type. It's really kinda strange if you ask me. I can see what you're saying but I just don't see any good reason it should behave that way .

• Upvote 1

Appreciate all the help. Great solution Glenn but a bit too complex me thinks for such a simple wall transition. I ended up using a doorway with a railing wall (no locate no room def) and it looks OK.

Personally I don't think there's any reason that the 2 wall types shouldn't behave together but it's good know there's a couple of ways around the situation.

I guess I don't understand the aversion to labeling this as a bug. Is Chief acting as the programmers intended? Great workaround by Glenn but I'd say it's a workaround for a bug that needs to be fixed.

I agree Johnny, great work around but this seems like it shouldn't need that work around. I'll send it in to tech if I can find time today.

this seems like it shouldn't need that work around. I'll send it in to tech if I can find time today.

Larry, 

When time allows please mention about the Square Half Post at Wall not functioning  as these problems are quite likely related to each other.

Many Thanks,  Chopsaw