Concrete Tilt-up Building

builtright3

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have not had the pleasure of drawing a concrete tilt-up building before and I would like to draw one for a conceptual design for a friend of mine. I was wondering if someone can help me get started?

Its 20 feet high to the top of the wall but the roof sits down a few feet below inside so we have parapet walls. I put a 1/2 inch per foot pitch roof and set my ridge board top height at 18 feet but my wall drop down to below the roof. How do I make it so the wall stay at the 20 foot height?

I personally would draw with two walls. Your bearing wall for roof structure and a "veneer" wall for the concrete. Make the veneer wall no definition. I have never seen this done around here without structural steel and panels secured to the purlins. 

This is my first commercial building and so far so good! Thank you for your help!

1) The part I'm stuck on now is the windows and doors. I need to mulled them together somehow. I have tried but have not had any luck.

2) Also I need to get rid of the circled post at the corner as per the picture so I can put in a round column.

Can anyone help me?

I attached the plan file and if it helps anyone else please use it in whatever way you please.

Tiltup.plan

post-2478-0-68979800-1469557327_thumb.png

post-2478-0-47676900-1469557335_thumb.png

For the storefront windows it gets interesting. Model it how it will be built. This may be of interest.https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/8500-strorfront-systems/?hl=storefront There is some storefronts on 3d warehouse but thats a roll of the dice for sizing.

For the post just use regular post in framing...set your default post for round and you can adjust diameter and heights then.

I would get rid of the doorways in concrete wall and just drag walls in elevation to the heights you want.

For the roof (besides whats already been mentioned above) there are multiple methods you can make work but the 2 the come to mind first are...

1.  Simply dragging the walls up in elevation.

2.  Setting the room(s) to have no roof and ceiling and then just drawing a manual roof plane inside your walls.

Here is a vid on how I would build a tilt up wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKAB3swi4Jo&feature=youtu.be

Good vid.

That's a great video! Thank You

How would you address the curved walls and window walls that sit inside?

I attached my drawing so you can see how I did it but I'm still having the issue with the corner post that I don't want.

Tiltup.plan

post-2478-0-47165200-1469627749_thumb.png

For the storefront windows it gets interesting. Model it how it will be built. This may be of interest.https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/8500-strorfront-systems/?hl=storefront There is some storefronts on 3d warehouse but thats a roll of the dice for sizing.

For the post just use regular post in framing...set your default post for round and you can adjust diameter and heights then.

I would get rid of the doorways in concrete wall and just drag walls in elevation to the heights you want.

Thank you for the ideas!

I would like to learn more about dragging walls in elevations. I have never been able to get that to work for me yet and also I don't have a clear understanding of doing veneer walls? I don't think either of these ideas are explained enough in the help videos or manual. Probably because its a work around.

I posted my plan in the last reply to Scott. This was my only obligation so far on this project and it worked well for now. Not perfect but it worked.

Thank You!

.....How would you address the curved walls and window walls that sit inside?

If you fix and build the way I would do it,  I will take a closer look.

I do not know what the problem with the window walls are.

In regards to the corner post,  I have done videos on this...  somewhere....  bottom line,  instead of using a DOOR on either side of  post,  use a window opening and UNCHECK HAS CORNER POST.  Why this is an option with WINDOWS and not DOOR OPENINGS,  is a mystery to me.

This UNCHECK HAS CORNER POST was a great solution for this type of situation,  but CA did not carry it far  enough.....  we need to be able to UNCHECK HAS CORNER POST for DOORS,  as we have the option for WINDOWS.

The reason we need it for doors as we already have it for windows is because it will then read correctly in plan view.  As it is now,  if you use a window for the corner situation,  you get unwanted lines in plan view at the sill.....  i do not want the sill to show in plan view.

post-50-0-94611700-1469632669_thumb.png