Improving raytrace speed

MTeresko

I'm working on a computer I built several years ago for a Chief Architect (Premier X8) user. He was experiencing crashes during raytraces that I concluded was due to cpu overheating. It has an AMD mb with an FX-6100 6-core cpu. I made the following upgrades after a thorough cleaning:

- doubled ram to 16 gb

- installed SSD drive

- upgraded the graphics card from a GTS450 w/ 1gb memory to GTX750 w/ 2gb memory

- upgraded stock heatsink and cpu fan

After all this, it no longer crashes, but raytraces are painfully slow, up to several hours. I could upgrade the cpu to an FX-8350 and retain the existing MB. Would this make a significant difference? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Alternatively to Chief's ray tracing your new video card will run Octane Render fairly well.  Check out the free trial version of 3.0 at Otoy's web site.  CPU is not an issue, but you will need to convert the files to OBJ format.

Alternatively to Chief's ray tracing your new video card will run Octane Render fairly well.  Check out the free trial version of 3.0 at Otoy's web site.  CPU is not an issue, but you will need to convert the files to OBJ format.

The images in Octane Render look amazing, but CA does not have all those highly textured surfaces right?  We've got brick textures but nothing like what you'll see in those renderings.