herringbone pattern - help please!

sfarekas

Hi all,

I'm new to Cheif architect, and hoping for a little help!

I'm trying to create a herringbone pattern on my kitchen backsplash.

I've already changed the pattern on the copy of a tile material from the core catalog, but it doen't show up in the 3d view or on the teapot as a herringbone pattern???!!!

am I doing something wrong? how do I get this herringbone effect?

Thanks,

Sima

CA X8

Sima, 

The reason it's not showing up in the 3D view or on the teapot is because you need to change the texture material as well. 

Changing the pattern style only will only show up in the "technical illustration" 3D view. 

Yep, except I would add that Patterns/Material Types are also used in Vector Views and Line Drawings as well. 

Thanks David,

is there a way to get the herringbone pattern in texture material other than grabbing a picture?

I'm looking to change grout color or similar nuances for a better 3d view?

At the moment I think grabbing a picture is the only way to set a custom texture to something. That being said, changing the grout color won't be possible unless you edit the initial picture first. 

Not for the faint of heart but a person could use polyline solids or material regions to create the tiles or grout or both. It's not that bad if you're used to the process, but otherwise it can be pretty time-consuming. You can use distributed objects, multiple copy, and transform/replicate among other things to speed the process up but it definitely takes a little work no matter what you do. Cool thing is that you can create some very unique and realistic tile layouts with the ability to quickly change tile and/or grout colors on an item by item basis.

thanks guys, I was trying to avoid all the extra pre work, or polyline solids creation; but you answered my question.

I'm surprised there aren't options for layout in addition to angled, like herringbone, and basketweave...they've always been pretty common...

Thanks for all the help