Dimension tail size

johnny

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

• Solution

Johnny, Those look like point to point dimensions. If so adjust your Marker Radius. Default Settings> Text, Callouts and Markers> Marker> Saved Marker Defaults> Edit> Marker> Size> And Reduce Accordingly. I hope. Or Active Defaults> Markers> Edit> Marker> Size> Reduce.

That only really works for next time, if you already have a bunch select 1 and use the Match Properties tool to select them all and change the Marker Radius to 0.

Johnny,

There is no dimension tail in Chief.

More importantly, the question has to be asked - why are you using Point To Point dimensions?

Thanks everyone - I guess in plot plan view the size of those markers exploded.

I use point-2-point often...im not a fan of having to go back and forth on settings inside my dimension tools on what I want to dimension, and to what point.  I can't leave everything on and changing that setting all the time is more effort than pt-2-pt i've found.

• Upvote 1

Johnny,

I find that the biggest problem with Point To Point is that they are not associative.

Well.... they are associative, but only to the point, not to the object you are dimensioning.

I would very rarely use a PTP dimension.

Having dimension defaults controlled by annosets is the way to go.

Johnny,

I find that the biggest problem with Point To Point is that they are not associative.

Well.... they are associative, but only to the point, not to the object you are dimensioning.

I would very rarely use a PTP dimension.

Having dimension defaults controlled by annosets is the way to go.

I'd agree with you if Annosets weren't king...but since they are I find I have to use those primarily for other purposes unless I want to have a million different sets.  My problem is that I work with several draftsman and so I try and keep the files as basic as possible.

perhaps I am not dong something right then...since the wouldn't I then have to have a duplicate annoset for each dimension setting I wanted?

perhaps I am not dong something right then...since the wouldn't I then have to have a duplicate annoset for each dimension setting I wanted?

Johnny.

No. You don't necessarily need a new annoset for every dimension default you want to use - you just need to set up all the dimension defaults that you need.

You can then be in any annoset and still select a different dimension default without changing any of the other annoset defaults.

Set up your various dimension defaults, switch to a preferred annoset, now, if you want to change to a different dimension default, click the Active Defaults icon (the wrench with the red tick).

You can now select any of your saved dimension defaults while all the other defaults for that annoset will remain unchanged.

Your annoset will change to Using Active Defaults - but the only thing that has changed is your dimension default.

I use this method quite a bit because I don't want a trillion annosets, yet it still gives me lots of flexibility.

Johnny.

No. You don't necessarily need a new annoset for every dimension default you want to use - you just need to set up all the dimension defaults that you need.

You can then be in any annoset and still select a different dimension default without changing any of the other annoset defaults.

Set up your various dimension defaults, switch to a preferred annoset, now, if you want to change to a different dimension default, click the Active Defaults icon (the wrench with the red tick).

You can now select any of your saved dimension defaults while all the other defaults for that annoset will remain unchanged.

Your annoset will change to Using Active Defaults - but the only thing that has changed is your dimension default.

I use this method quite a bit because I don't want a trillion annosets, yet it still gives me lots of flexibility.

Glenn, thinking about plan view, if I follow your method above, change the dimension default, send a view to layout, and then later change the annoset back to the original dimension default to send another view to layout, will the first view also not revert back to the original? Help me out here. This might work for sections (not live views) where the settings are saved with the camera, although I haven't tried it yet to make sure the changed default will "stick" with the view it was sent to. This sort of goes along with another "hot" topic in the forum about "changing layer sets on the fly."

Always learning, Mike

Mike,

No. The dimensions will not change their formatting if you switch the annoset back to an annoset with the original or a different dimension default.

You are not changing formatting in the current dimension default , you are changing the dimension default itself, so that new dimension formatting will follow that new default.

Dimensions inherit the dimension default's formatting when the dimensions are drawn.

There are a couple of ways to change the formatting of existing dimension lines:

1. You change a setting for that particular dimension default (through the annoset, through the dim defaults or through the dim line dbx)  - in which case all the dimensions that use that default will change, or

2. You can select a dimension (or dimensions) and change the Dimension Default they are using in their dbx, or, in the same dbx, you can also redefine that dimension default (same as #1 above).