rodhealydesign

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

Hi guys

I've been rendering using Ray Trace, however I can't seem to get really clear interior images, as they have alot of NOISE on the image.

I'm allowing it for around 30 Passes. Is this not enough? Or do I need to adjust a setting? (image attached).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rod

post-11783-0-83193500-1469068921_thumb.png

Ray Tracing is a real art form that I have not yet mastered but to achieve the results I think you are looking for I would try turning off Photon Mapping as I believe this will make a dramatic difference.  While you are running 50 or more passes you can do some more reading on the subject.  With this off I believe lighting becomes a more critical situation so be careful. You may want to reduce the output of your table lamp to start with.  Maybe also add a soft light behind the camera.

I commonly use about ten passes, the key to good images is adjusting your lights and how materials reflect light, that takes time to figure but several short pass renderings and adjusting what you see in each render. When you get things adjusted only then would you do a long number of passes, it takes what it takes for quality.

DJP

Hi guys, and thank you.

Yes it seems like I have a long way to go to perfect an interior Ray Trace  B)

Chopsaw, I have attached a screenshot which shows adjusting "Tone Mapping", is this what you mean when you say "Photon Mapping", or is this a completely different thing?

I am currently reading through a previous post (still at work) that a few members were discussing with the same problem, I have started to play with lighting, and can see I've only touched the tip of the ice berg.

Regards,

Rod

post-11783-0-15670700-1469086130_thumb.png

• Solution

No  "Photon Mapping" is quite different from "Tone Mapping" but by all means try it out but you will notice that it disables your control of "Intensity", "Softness", and "Color Correction" just below the same way the "Auto Contrast" feature works.  All of these adjustment can be done anytime during or after ray tracing but deselecting "Use Photon Mapping" must be preset.  Keep searching the Forum about this as I think that is where I learned about it because there is a reason it is under the Advanced tab.

Here is the map to "Use Photon Mapping" and don't hesitate to use the Help files as they are sometimes quite enlightening.

Don't forget about your video training resources : https://video.chiefarchitect.com/?search=ray+trace

This is a good one and there are new ones that I have not seen yet : https://video.chiefarchitect.com/?search=1909

post-4797-0-83101100-1469094655_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Thanks for all the support guys. Chopsaw, I have started watching those vids, and yes I will get into the video tutorials a lot more, very very helpful.

I have started to play with lighting and already seeing some great results while experimenting, but I will knuckle-down and play with the other suggested settings when I get a chance on the weekend :-)

I look forward to sharing my results once I reach the "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow ;) 

Regards,

Rod

Hi guys

Thanks for all the help! Chopsaw, those videos were great! And I have looked into the other suggestions also, big help.

I have a long way to go still, but have made some adjustments with lighting and also the settings etc. Love the sunlight coming into the room, gives such a natural look :-)

Improved image attached FYI, thanks again guys.

Regards,

Rod

post-11783-0-38264200-1469536199_thumb.jpg

Looking much better. By any chance, did you change the recessed lights to point lights? If so I would make them spots again to avoid the ceiling being highlighted around the cans. If you need more overall light for the scene then place a few 3D point lights around the room, position them around mid room height, shadows off. You can then adjust their intensity to control/supplement the overall ambient lighting. Do not place them to close to walls, ceilings or objects as you will get bright white splotches.

Graham