3D Molding Polyline, Awesome, But: Only dimensions from inside line and is "Sticky"?.

zowie123

Hey all,

I always run into this when I'm making custom mantels and legs?  The guys find it easier to build from scratch than try to fit pre fab pieces when covering an existing fireplace.

So I always run into this micro adjusting 3D molding polylines and as powerful as they are I find them a pain in arse to work with because you can only adjust them from the inside handle (I'm usually trying to lineup their outsides) and they tend to be sticky to move around even with all snaps off. Point to point doesn't work very well with them either.  Also, in 2D view they show up as a line and not the depth of a molding. Which is also true of room moldings until you convert them into a room molding polyline.  

I was going to make a suggestion for improvements, but wanted to see if anyone had remedies.  I usually build mantels with a combination of slabs, soffits, p solids and 3D molding polylines so that they can be easily manipulated (resized), look correct in 3D as well as create a 2D plan to build from.

Thanks very much,

Barry

Perhaps someday Chief will develop one solid tool that is editable from all sides wouldn't that be awesome?..

pain in arse to work with because you can only adjust them from the inside handle

Change the vertical offset to minus the molding height-then you can adjust from the outside.

I sometimes convert one to a symbol-with a fill-gives more options for manipulation and then can show in plan.

To expand upon Mark's suggestion there are three things that come into play that I believe you can utilize to get a little closer to what you are looking for…

1. The offset

2. Extrude inside vs. extrude outside

3. The direction of your actual molding profile ( right facing, left facing, facing up, or facing down)

Perhaps someday Chief will develop one solid tool that is editable from all sides wouldn't that be awesome?..

I have often wondered how much programming that would take and what future version will have that feature. I would sure welcome a truly 3D polyline solid.

• 2 weeks later...