Custom Moulding Profile - Scale Snafu and User Catalogue MIA

angelaraedesigns

Two questions:

#1 - Scale Snafu

When creating a custom moulding profile I've used this video for the instructions. https://video.chiefarchitect.com/?search=MOULDING

when I open a CAD block to create the profile the line weights are ridiculously thick, can hardly see the 'grab' points and next to impossible to get a dimension.  How can I change this?

#2 - User Catalogue Missing in Action

I muddled through despite the thick line weight and created my lintel profile for my Craftsman doors and windows and saved this profile in my User Catalogue. 

Then I go back to my plan file and try to use it, and for some reason when I select 'add new' under the mouldings the User Catalogue doesn't have a grey triangle beside it and I can't select it to open and grab my new fabulous custom lintel profile!?!?  argh. What have I missed here?

See attached screenshots.  I know this is probably a very simple fix and I feel stupid already for not getting it.  Please be gentle with me. ;)

Version of CA I'm using is X8.

I've tried shutting the program down and restarting.  lol

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

Best,

Angela

(CA Newbie)

post-9923-0-81548600-1468882639_thumb.jpg

post-9923-0-89965000-1468882649_thumb.jpg

Just click this button...it turns on and off line weights.

FYI I've changes my line weights down all to 3 when I start a new file, and then use special 20, and 40 respectively for "profile lines".  Chief's default line weights are odd. At some point I plan to fix my template files...

post-75-0-23874200-1468883621_thumb.jpg

It doesn't sound like you created a molding. the shape is very odd.

Find CA-001 add to empty project, select it again and add to user library/ give it a name. Now create room molding polyline and see if your the new profile you added shows up in the user library.

Molding is a "CLOSED SHAPE". What you have is not, it is a combination of multiple shapes put together. Height also must match.

This may be helpful. <link>

Page 662 of the X8 Reference Manual has very simple and clear instructions on how to create a molding profile. Be sure the profile is a single open or closed polyline (not a CAD block). It's easy to check if what you saved to your User Library is a valid profile: simply right click the item and check for the Place Molding Profile option in the menu:

post-95-0-35915700-1468934077_thumb.png

...if the option isn't there, then the item isn't a valid profile.

Re: #1 - Scale Snafu

As mentioned previously, you can toggle the display of line weights off or on at any time.  Also, if you are working in a CAD detail on something small like a molding profile, then you may want to use the Drawing Sheet Setup tool to adjust the scale for your detail.  The drawing scale can be setup independently for any CAD detail and you may want to adjust this depending if you are working on something small like a molding profile or large like a site plan.  I would not recommend changing your line weights in your Layer Display Options to try and solve this problem.

Re:  #2 - User Catalogue Missing in Action

Odds are really good that what you added to the library was not actually a molding profile.  If you select an object in plan view, the program should display what kind of object you have selected in the status bar.  I believe the only thing that can be added to the library as a molding profile would be a "standard polyline".  When you are in the door dialog and you want to choose a new molding for your casing, the mini library browser that opens up will be filtered to just show you moldings.  If you open up the full library browser, you should be able to find what you added to your user library.  My best guess is that it was a cad block.