Ceiling and Wall Question

Fergie

Go to solution Solved by DavidJames,

Hello everyone. I'm having ceiling issues in my kitchen area which was fine previous to me adding a wall at my staircase (next to the garage) that seemed to mess with my ceilings.  I have since removed it but the issue remains and the structure tab will not allow me to change heights in the kitchen.

post-5904-0-56381500-1468872758_thumb.jpg

See notes on the next picture.

post-5904-0-62630600-1468872810_thumb.jpg

The note on the bottom right is referring to where the stairs go up - ceiling right there.

One other last question. The garage foundation height is equal to the top of my 18" floor truss. I've tried several thing but unable to get the foundation height the same of the house.

Thanks in advance for the input/direction.

Bret

Nelson Plan Rev 2.plan

• Solution

Outline the walls above with invisible walls. This will create a room within the kitchen. Open up the room spec dbx for that newly created room and then drop down the ceiling height. Once the ceiling height is corrected, you can delete those invisible walls. See below:

post-12316-0-24174700-1468876305_thumb.png

post-12316-0-70014000-1468876310_thumb.jpg

Or select the kitchen room, open the dbx, check the Default box for Structure>Ceiling:

post-95-0-29157700-1468876692_thumb.png

...and click OK when you get the warning:

post-95-0-42833400-1468876763_thumb.png

now your kitchen ceiling is all the same height:

post-95-0-33078400-1468876818_thumb.png

...though you may want to check what's going on upstairs above the kitchen.

I opened the room spec and this is what I get

post-5904-0-37769600-1468880591_thumb.jpg

I'll probably do the invisible wall method.

Regarding the upper floor, I've looked at that several times and do not see what I am doing incorrectly.

Thanks for your help.

Bret

Outline the walls above with invisible walls. This will create a room within the kitchen. Open up the room spec dbx for that newly created room and then drop down the ceiling height. Once the ceiling height is corrected, you can delete those invisible walls. See below:

I will do that. Thank you!

Bret

I noticed many small problems that all add up. Suggest redrawing the plan working as you go to get the structure correct.

Resist adding all the extras -- trim, columns, cabinets etc until the model is right.

This is my second redraw. However, when your customer wants a few changes, and those changes affect the structure and in doing so it creates other issues, it's not feasible to redraw. The 3D renderings aren't fully needed, just a luxury.  So it's not a matter of "resisting" to add the extras.

I came from Chief 10 about a year and half ago and while CA has added many nice new features, I find it to be more a pain in the rear especially when it comes to changes.  Also when it comes to using fixtures and scaling, not all of them do. Not cool.

I don't get that when I open the Room Specification dbx from the plan you uploaded:

attachicon.gifdbx.PNG

Interesting.

That is interesting. I wonder if it's how your personal defaults are set up? You're double clicking in the room where you open the room spec? What interesting is where the ceiling raises in the kitchen elevation is actually attic space and over the dining area the height is correct. Should be 9'1 1/8". Very interesting.

The 3D is a reflection of the model, and if it looks wrong, then the underlying model might need some work.

The first floor rough ceiling default is 113 5/8". Consider changing it to be correct, then using Reset to Defaults to set all floors to the default heights.

attachicon.gifFergie 1.jpg

I'll look at that. Thank you.  That actually makes sense to extend those walls at the stairs. Thanks!