CA Breckinridge plan question

SNestor

I was watching a CA video last night related to the Breckinridge plan...so I decided to download the plan.  I noticed while watch the video that whomever drew the plans used a lot of layer sets to control views...which is smart, however, they used the OOB Anno Sets...which seemed weird to me.  Not sure how they were able to do it...using the 1/4" Scale Annotation set for just about every plan they created.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?  I'm wondering why CA wouldn't use the power of Anno sets in a set of plans like this.  It looks like they spent a lot of time creating this plan...you would think they would use the Anno set feature so they could use it as a teaching tool...  

Here are screen shots of the layers and Annotation sets...

post-227-0-40393100-1468626878_thumb.png

post-227-0-63761200-1468626978_thumb.png

I think CA uses the "less is more" principle

they will use 1 anno-set with many layer-sets (one-to-many)

some power users use a one-to-one relationship

and end up with 36+ anno-sets

use whichever method suits your workflow

anno-sets are a convenience

remember they didn't exist prior to X4

yet plans were produced without them

they can make life easier and quicker

Lew

Steve:
In the Breckenridge plan, there are many layers to control the various views. We did not use that many annotation sets because they were not needed. In some cases an annotation set was used; but, then we switched the layer set and in some cases defaults for the current CAD layer and dimensions.

Some examples from the construction drawings in the layout:

• Site plan – used the plot plan annotations
  • Floor plan – used the ¼” scale annotations; but, then the dimension defaults were changed to locate openings for example (see the image for the add’l dim defaults)
  • Foundation plan – used the Foundation annotations
  • Kitchen & Bath; Interior Perspectives – used a few: NKBA annotations on the floor plan; elevations NKBA annotations, NKBA -1E, NKBA-2, NKBA-3
  • Section & Details - ¼” scale annotations – and adjusting the CAD default or dimension defaults as needed
  • Shear & wall framing – framing annotations. For the wall framing details, the layer sets used ‘3D Framing, Wall Section’
  • Floor framing/Roof framing - framing annotations; and, again the layer sets specifically set. When you save the camera it saves the layer set which makes it easy to open that view and modify as you need once the drawing is sent to you layout file.
  • Ceiling plan - Ceiling annotations
  • Electrical plan - Electrical annotations
  • HVAC plan - HVAC annotations

Hope this helps.

post-14-0-36893700-1468689005_thumb.jpg

Steve:

In the Breckenridge plan, there are many layers to control the various views. We did not use that many annotation sets because they were not needed. In some cases an annotation set was used; but, then we switched the layer set and in some cases defaults for the current CAD layer and dimensions.

Some examples from the construction drawings in the layout:

• Site plan – used the plot plan annotations
  • Floor plan – used the ¼” scale annotations; but, then the dimension defaults were changed to locate openings for example (see the image for the add’l dim defaults)
  • Foundation plan – used the Foundation annotations
  • Kitchen & Bath; Interior Perspectives – used a few: NKBA annotations on the floor plan; elevations NKBA annotations, NKBA -1E, NKBA-2, NKBA-3
  • Section & Details - ¼” scale annotations – and adjusting the CAD default or dimension defaults as needed
  • Shear & wall framing – framing annotations. For the wall framing details, the layer sets used ‘3D Framing, Wall Section’
  • Floor framing/Roof framing - framing annotations; and, again the layer sets specifically set. When you save the camera it saves the layer set which makes it easy to open that view and modify as you need once the drawing is sent to you layout file.
  • Ceiling plan - Ceiling annotations
  • Electrical plan - Electrical annotations
  • HVAC plan - HVAC annotationsf
Hope this helps.

Thanks Scott. That info will certainly help going forward.