Layer sets change on the fly?

Rashid_Garuba

So I am working and temporarily hide a layer.. Then later I find I forgot to turn that layer back on in that set (The set was altered by hiding a layer). I love to hide stuff I am not working on a lot, So I find myself often checking to make sure I didn't forget something off... I think layer sets should only change with a save button...

or I am missing something?

yes , you can set up different layer-sets to do exactly what you want. also use Anno-sets to bring up those layer-sets. search the videos for those items. once you learn them you will never have to turn off or turn on a layer again for standard views, non-standard, just create a new Anno-set and good to go in 3 minutes.

also many users create "working" layer-sets

these are the ones where you turn layers on/off as needed during your work flow

and leave the "master" layer-sets alone

the ones that are used to create the layout

Lew

So I am working and temporarily hide a layer.. Then later I find I forgot to turn that layer back on in that set (The set was altered by hiding a layer). I love to hide stuff I am not working on a lot, So I find myself often checking to make sure I didn't forget something off... I think layer sets should only change with a save button...

or I am missing something?

You aren't missing anything. This is an incredibly annoying "feature."

You aren't missing anything. This is an incredibly annoying "feature."

How would you want it to work?

Here is one way it will work.

Assuming your template plan has all your layer sets the way you want them - which is a fairly good asumption.

Open your template plan.

Export Layer Sets.

Now in the plan you are working on with the messed up layer sets.

Import Layer Sets.

In the Import Layer Sets dbx, you can select a single or multiple layer sets to import.

You will be prompted to replace any layer sets with the same name.

Click yes.

Your layer sets are now back to how they are in your template plan.

It's just like having "Template Layer Sets" file that you can restore back to your layer set defaults at any time.

You can set up hot keys and toolbar icons for both Import and Export Layer Sets.

How would you want it to work?

I would like it set up pretty much like Rashid mentioned. (Since we both have ArchiCAD experience, we already know how useful this is.) Once I have set up, say, a roof plan layer set, that arrangement should say exactly like that until I make changes and explicitly save the layer set with those changes. That way, we can turn a few layers off and on, and STILL come back to our original roof plan set. Right now, it is too easy to inadvertently make changes and have those flow all the way to the Layout. I have trained myself to switch to a "messing around" layer set before I experiment, which works fine until I forget to switch, and then have to use your method to get back my original layer set. I find this annoying since it doesn't really have to be this way.

So, I agree that we have ways to get back to our office standards, but this is really only a backup for when we KNOW we have changed things.

• Upvote 1

I would like it set up pretty much like Rashid mentioned. (Since we both have ArchiCAD experience, we already know useful this is.) Once I have set up, say, a roof plan layer set, that arrangement should say exactly like that until I make changes and explicitly save the layer set with those changes. That way, we can turn a few layers off and on, and STILL come back to our original roof plan set. Right now, it is too easy to inadvertently make changes and have those flow all the way to the Layout. I have trained myself to switch to a "messing around" layer set before I experiment, which works fine until I forget to switch, and then have to use your method to get back my original layer set. I find this annoying since it doesn't really have to be this way.

So, I agree that we have ways to get back to our office standards, but this is really only a backup for when we KNOW we have changed things.

This is a really good idea.  Thanks guys for the suggestion.  

IOW,  I would have to explicitly SAVE changes to a layer set.......  this is the layer set that is  in layout,  a great idea.

Once set up its done, how can that be  annoying?

Okay, I'll give you an example. I'm working away on the electrical anno set, which has an electrical plan layer set attached to it. Oh, wait, did I get that light centered over the dining room table? So I turn on my furniture layer just to check. Probably better turn on the the framing layer, too, to make sure there are no conflicts there. Now the electrical layer set has two extra layers turned on. I need to remember to turn them off, or remember to re-import layer sets like Glenn suggested. I SHOULD be able to just double-click the electrical layer set, or press a "restore" button, to get my electrical layer set back to the way I usually want it in my ConDocs.   

• Upvote 3

Okay, I'll give you an example. I'm working away on the electrical anno set, which has an electrical plan layer set attached to it. Oh, wait, did I get that light centered over the dining room table? So I turn on my furniture layer just to check. Probably better turn on the the framing layer, too, to make sure there are no conflicts there. Now the electrical layer set has two extra layers turned on. I need to remember to turn them off, or remember to re-import layer sets like Glenn suggested. I SHOULD be able to just double-click the electrical layer set, or press a "restore" button, to get my electrical layer set back to the way I usually want it in my ConDocs.

I agree 120%.

I've used all sorts of various temporary/drawing/trash layer sets, copied layer sets, and the all on and all off layer sets to allow layer control "on-the-fly" but it's really a bit of a pain, especially when you forget to switch layer sets. The fact I use typically use "Make Copy" when sending to layout make the whole thing a little easier for me but I'm all for some improvements in this area. It could be a lot easier.

not a pain for me, The Anno-set also automatically sets the layer-set every time, just work from the Anno-sets and don't worry about the layer-sets, they will be automatic. You can turn on the furniture in the elect. layer set if you want, you know. I just see it all going faster, if you just use it like Chief wants you to.

• Downvote 1

Never thought of doing things this way but would love the option to do so. Great idea.

Ok I will suggest this... Glenn, great idea but why would anyone want their layer sets altered in the first place?

Rashid,

I am not sure I fully understand your question.

Are you suggesting that under no circumstances would a user want to alter their layer sets?

Never thought of doing things this way but would love the option to do so. Great idea.

You all know you can have more than 1 electrical Anno-set, just create a new electrical Anno-set with furniture and framing. 1 click is all you need.

Rashid,

I am not sure I fully understand your question.

Are you suggesting that under no circumstances would a user want to alter their layer sets?

Glenn,

Sure I would like to alter layer sets but only to do so permanently by saving... not by hiding or turning on a layer.

You all know you can have more than 1 electrical Anno-set, just create a new electrical Anno-set with furniture and framing. 1 click is all you need.

I though anno-sets refer to whatever is in the layer set.. If I inadvertently modify a layer set, will the anno-set override that?

I though anno-sets refer to whatever is in the layer set.. If I inadvertently modify a layer set, will the anno-set override that?

No it most certainly will not. As far as the relationship between anno sets and layer sets go...

You can OPTIONALLY have the anno set automatically change your active layer set. That's all. Nothing more.

Annosets obviously do a lot more than that when it comes to notations (which is their real strength) but as far as layer sets go, anno sets don't bring any new functionality to the table.

You can obviously do as Perry is suggesting and set up a crapload of layer sets (which he controls via anno sets for whatever reason) for every conceivable circumstance if you can easily remember which is which and remember to change back and forth between them. I personally find a number of other methods far easier and more fluid and being able to both "save" and "reset" layer sets would make the process that much easier.

Thanks for bringing this issue back up again Rashid. Here's hoping Chief will bring some improvements to this area.

You can obviously do as Perry is suggesting and set up a crapload of layer sets (which he controls via anno sets for whatever reason) for every conceivable circumstance if you can easily remember which is which and remember to

Actually I don't use that many Anno-sets, I only use what I need. 6 more than what Chief gives you. Michael , you just don't understand Anno-sets like I do and that's ok.

Actually I don't use that many Anno-sets, I only use what I need. 6 more than what Chief gives you. Michael , you just don't understand Anno-sets like I do and that's ok.

Perry, why don't you do a quick video and prove us all wrong? Maybe you've found something that no one else knows about.

• Upvote 1