Solid Subtraction Tool

Chopsaw

This is my first attempt at drawing a Metal Floor Pan Decking System and have not been able to find any thing searching on Chief. I think this is quite common construction in light commercial so I surprised to not find anything or maybe I am not searching correctly.

Not sure if I am even heading in the right direction trying to get started so any and a help would be much appreciated if someone is familiar with drawing this style of floor system. I think I can handle the 2D but need some help with 3D. I suppose that I could just draw the slab and profile the bottom of it and explode the shape and paint the faces but then I would still have the miter problem.

P.S. Any video critique would also be helpful as I am not sure I have all my settings dialed in yet.

I think you found a new bug Chopsaw and I believe you should report it to tech support right away.  They recently fixed some problems with p-solids that didn't behave properly once rotated.  It looks like there's a problem with rotated solids now.  Until its fixed...

Instead of rotating your solid, either rotate the polyline solid before converting or build your solid at an angle.  Once the solid is rotated it won't work.  This is NOT normal behavior though.  PLEASE submit it. 

So then the Polyline Subtraction Tool should work the same for a task in elevation view as a task in plan view?  That is what I thought but I run into these things soo often that I can't just assume that everything is broken.  I actually did rotate and test the Polyline Subtraction tool on the psolids first before resorting to converting to solids, too bad you can't convert back.  So maybe the fix did not work.  Looks like some more volunteer R&D hours for the Chief again.  But thanks for sending me in the right direction again.

Chopsaw

So then the Polyline Subtraction Tool should work the same for a task in elevation view as a task in plan view? That is what I thought but I run into these things soo often that I can't just assume that everything is broken. I actually did rotate and test the Polyline Subtraction tool on the psolids first before resorting to converting to solids, too bad you can't convert back. So maybe the fix did not work. Looks like some more volunteer R&D hours for the Chief again. But thanks for sending me in the right direction again.

Chopsaw

Close but no, there are actually 2 groups of boolean tools. Just a very quick explanation but they are...

-POLYLINE Union, Intersection, and Subtraction which only work on polylines based objects created in the same view

and

-SOLID Union, Intersection, and Subtraction which work for solids drawn in any view.

I will do more testing tomorrow but based on that understanding I think both tools are broke. Are there other tools that change names depending on the situation? The new Chameleon tool Group.

Thanks all, With Michaels help I was able to successfully miter the polyline solid by converting it to a solid. Once I have all the bugs figured out and see if this can be done consistently I will try to post a revised video for you all.

Thanks Again, Chopsaw

post-4797-0-69921700-1469075296_thumb.jpg

This video illustrates how to miter a extruded profile drawn in an elevation view by converting from a standard polyline to a polyline solid to a solid with the intension of then converting to a library symbol. For the purpose of realistically illustrating a Metal Floor Pan Decking material in 3D as well as 2D. Same process for Metal Roof Pan Decking material. Hoping to eventually include some finished shots when completed.

Video has some unexplained audio issues but I was able to include Closed Captioning if necessary.