Eaves won't box where 2 roof lines meet

kn8hansen

I'm working on a small plan for a client and I'm having a heck of a time getting my eaves to box in certain places (see attached screenshot).  Any ideas why this is happening?  I've tried manually forcing the eaves to box to 24" and I've verified that Chief will let me add roof returns to both corners but Chief won't box that one eave.  This has happened before on other plans but I usually cover it up with a psolid (yuck).  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nate

post-198-0-29153000-1400615181_thumb.jpg

I don't think you can get boxed eaves at that corner as long as the gable overhangs are the same value.

Make sure you have Boxed Eaves toggled on in the Build Roof dbx. 

Open the dbx for the front gable wall and go to the Roof panel.

Increase the Overhang Length by about 3mm (sorry about the metrics) - this is the smallest dimension that works for me.

Have a play and see what is the smallest dimension which results in the boxed eave.

With Auto Roofs toggled on, you should get a boxed eave on both gable roofs.

If you can live with the tiny discrepancy between the gable overhangs this is probably the easiest.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you can get boxed eaves at that corner as long as the gable overhangs are the same value.

Open the dbx for the front gable wall and go to the Roof panel.

Increase the Overhang Length by about 3mm (sorry about the metrics) - this is the smallest dimension that works for me..

With Auto Roofs toggled on, you should get a boxed eave on both gable roofs.

Glenn, once again you are spot on!  A little adjustment and every thing is right! I have done this same technique on many an occasion...

Thanks again Glenn for all your input!

• 3 years later...

So how do you fix this same issue if the automatic roof is turned off (custom roof) and also the roof is over a timber frame structure with no gable walls???

This is the kind of stuff that is annoying about Chief software