Locking Roof Planes On Detached Garage

Mark_Peterson

I'm currently using Chief 18.3.1.2 On a Mac running Yosemite 10.10.5 and I am having trouble changing the pitch of my roof on the main house to 5.5/12 and retaining the pitch of the garage roof of 4/12.

I tried locking the garage roof in Layer Display options, I renamed the garage roof planes "Garage Plan"., I tried to elect the lock pitch checkbox in the Roof Plane Specification as well. I have checked the garage roof plane as edited. Then I rebuilt the roof at a 5.5/12 pitch but it stills rebuilds the garage roof.

So my goal is to keep the existing garage at 4/12, while rebuilding the Main House Roof to 5.5/12. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

235 St Francis Hip Roof 03182016.plan.zip

Mark:

there may be other ways to do it

my preferred method is to place external buildings in separate plans

then make a 3D symbol of them and add them to the master plan

I like the independence it gives me

I have long called for room/floor/wing/roof etc locks that truly lock down an area

once I have an area set I would that Chief not be able to change it

so far CA hasn't agreed with this logic

Lew

my preferred method is to place external buildings in separate plans

then make a 3D symbol of them and add them to the master plan

I do not think this is good advice.  I realize there are some circumstance where this is viable,  but generally I would stay away from this approach.  

What I would do in this situation is select the garage roof planes and then Ctrl+C and then rebuild all roof planes. 

Once you have the house the way you want it, delete the new garage roof planes and then do a ctrl+alt+v. 

This will effectively paste your old (4/12) roof planes back on top of your garage. 

Since the garage has such a simple roof, I'd just manually build it after getting the house roof correct.

You can auto build at 4/12. Uncheck Roof Over This Room for the garage, then check Retain Edited Automatic Roof Planes when you build the roof, and the garage roof will stay at 4/12.

Listen to the solver,  that is the best approach.

Set your roof default pitch at 5/12, open dbx of each wall on garage and select roof, change roof pitch to 4/12 (unselect "gabel roof" to allow change of pitch and after pitch change re-select gabel roof) and it will auto build roofs all day long.

Here is my problem with auto build. Can you build roof with trusses at garage, Conventional at existing house and then back to trusses at family room addition that was completed 18montha ago?

I don't understand what the problem here is.  Simply select the 2 side walls of the garage (those walls are the ones that control the pitch), click on the roof tab, and delete the "(D)" from the pitch field.  That D is essentially the same thing as checking "Use Default".  In fact, if you ever want to change a number back to the default all you have to do is enter a D in the field and it will automatically display the default number.  Anyway, once you remove the D or add a number different than the default, the pitch for the roof plane starting on that wall will then be controlled by the new setting.

Thanks everyone, Solver's approach worked for me. I guess I was confused by Chief's dialogue boxes and their video. A good Chief feature would be to be able to simply lock different roofs or areas of the roof so they didn't rebuild your intended areas of the roof. Definitely more ways to skin a cat, thanks for all the help.

Thanks everyone, Solver's approach worked for me. I guess I was confused by Chief's dialogue boxes and their video. A good Chief feature would be to be able to simply lock different roofs or areas of the roof so they didn't rebuild your intended areas of the roof. Definitely more ways to skin a cat, thanks for all the help.

Please re-read my post above. It's actually very simple and it does exactly what you are looking for in about three seconds time. Yes, there is more than one way to skin a cat sometimes but I believe the method that I mentioned is the correct way and that it would do you a lot of good to understand it. It is the key to controlling pitches with auto roofs.

Shane K - I did have one question, my original plan has a tray ceiling on the that back room. I was going to manually reset that tray, because when I rebuilt it, created a funky valley , did you manually rebuild that tray too, because when I did it raises that wall height as if it is a flat ceiling. I'm just wondering if I'm missing a shortcut to building that tray. Thanks for your reply!