Need Help With Simple Floor Heights - Again....

HumbleChief

Go to solution Solved by DavidJames,

To continue my string of embarrassing posts I am still struggling to understand Chief's structure dbx and cannot figure out this latest behavior. I am trying to lower the floor of the garage to -12" but it seems to lower the floors on all the other rooms. I've never seen this before and am wondering what simple setting I am missing? Is Chief 'remembering' a setting somehow? How can changing the floor height in one room change all the other floor heights? Is that expected behavior?

FLOOR HEIGHTS.plan

• Solution

Floor heights have always been a headache for me. 

However, I think in your case, the solution is simple. If you go down to your foundation level, you'll notice that your foundation is just one big room. So when you adjust the floor heights, it's adjusting everything. 

If you outline the garage walls with the foundation below, this should solve your problem. Going forward, I think if you assign the room definition before you build your foundation, or have autobuild on, it'll automatically add those walls for you.

post-12316-0-52724800-1468424334_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the past you were able to change the floor height to a particular room.  I have a step down loving room and I have created many of these in the past and for some reason I will not work now.  I have a step up of 8 inches and it changes all the floors up to 8 inches.

Something is really wrong here.

In the past you were able to change the floor height to a particular room.  I have a step down loving room and I have created many of these in the past and for some reason I will not work now.  I have a step up of 8 inches and it changes all the floors up to 8 inches.

Somehow the floor heights are depending on the foundation room below but I simply will never understand the paradigm Chief has chosen to define room/floor/ceiling heights.

Do you  think it is user error or a bug in CA?

Dave,

When you modify the Floor Elevation you also have to take into account the Room Ceiling Height.  I find it's best to start from the top of the structure and work down, making sure I have all the relationships correct - including the floor structures.

Do you  think it is user error or a bug in CA?

Good question Scott and I think it's a bug in the paradigm that Chief uses that makes these simple tasks difficult to understand and implement which causes unneeded user errors.

In this case there's a setting in one of the dbx's that doesn't allow for a single room's floor height to be dropped or raised independently of the other rooms - but sometimes it does allow for it. It's very confusing. Not just for me but obviously for Dave as well.

Dave can you please post that plan you are referring to above? I'm very curious what you/I might be missing.

I don't always have problems but sometimes I seem to follow the same methodology and end up with some really odd and confusing settings and floor/room heights. I think it's always user error but the entire floor/room height system should be easier to understand IMO. I don't think I've ever even seen a really comprehensive tutorial on same.

To continue my string of embarrassing posts I am still struggling to understand Chief's structure dbx and cannot figure out this latest behavior. I am trying to lower the floor of the garage to -12" but it seems to lower the floors on all the other rooms. I've never seen this before and am wondering what simple setting I am missing? Is Chief 'remembering' a setting somehow? How can changing the floor height in one room change all the other floor heights? Is that expected behavior?

Gosh, Larry, a year later and still confused? https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5828-add-lock-for-floor-elevations/ This whole floor thing is not working well. (Except for Perry, of course) 

BTW, ALL of your first floor rooms seem to be "floor supplied by room below." Not what you want, except at the garage.

Gosh, Larry, a year later and still confused? https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5828-add-lock-for-floor-elevations/ This whole floor thing is not working well. (Except for Perry, of course) 

BTW, ALL of your first floor rooms seem to be "floor supplied by room below." Not what you want, except at the garage.

Gee Richard, I just don't have a problem with it like many others, I can't help if you don't. Chief just can't always do it like you want.