Missing Valleys

johnny

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

• Solution

Johnny,

Open the Change/Floor Reference dbx.

Down at the bottom, uncheck Use XOR Drawing.

I am not sure what is going on.

I don't know if that has been unchecked as the default in the past, or if it is now working differently.

I am sure we didn't need to do anything previously.

I will send a ticket to tech support to see if anything has changed.

It could be a new bug - or a new "feature".

• Upvote 1

Glen, Is that something you figured out the hard way because based on the Help File I have no idea how you came up with that? Glad that it worked but???

Help File Quote: "• Use XOR Drawing changes the color of lines in the Reference Floor that are drawn on top of one another. Lines with identical properties do not display."

Chopsaw

Yes Glenn, Experience and Intuition are always better but for people like me there is a Help File.

I just wondered how you came up with your answer and what kind of intuition you need to have to know what XOR means.

Chop

post-4797-0-07355200-1468432113_thumb.jpg

I can't answer for Glenn, but for me personally, when an issue comes up I usually research it and play around with it till I fully understand it. I personally played around with that setting quite a bit in the past trying to harness the power of reference sets for some unique purposes. Having said that, I can tell you this...XOR drawing in Chief doesn't seem to be particularly tied all that well to the traditional definition of the term and idea of "exclusive or". We've run into other situations in the past where using or not using XOR drawing was the solution to the problem. I think those cases in the past were roof labels and maybe some callout labels. Neither of which seemed to have any logical reason to be affected by XOR drawing. In short though, I think Chief's definition is vague because the way it behaves is a bit unpredictable. I don't think it actually works like it's supposed to and I don't think it ever has. I think that ideally it's supposed to only recognize overlapping lines (or polylines, boxes, fills, text, etc.) but for some reason layers also come into play even when there are no conflicting lines. It probably hasn't been reported much because most of us rarely if ever touch that checkbox until an otherwise unsolvable riddle arises.

Hey Chop,

In this case, the help file would only be of use AFTER you know what is causing the problem.

It wouldn't have been much help to actually FIND the problem.

Like Michael, I have played with this setting in the past and it seemed like the direction to head.

I just went back and checked with X6 and it works the same as X8.

Although I don't remember ever having to check XOR to get the roof lines to display in ref.

I guess my memory is failing a little!  :wacko:

Ok so then when Johnny gets up in the morning maybe he can check to see if his plan has duplicate valley lines.  Other wise this really does not make much sense to me and maybe should get sent in to tech ?? 

I studied the ref sets years ago and even did a vid on the ref sets.  Going through the study of ref sets in the vid,  there was a reason that I ruled out using the xor option.  I forgot the reason....  maybe it had to do with the ridge and valley and hip lines.....  none of which shows up when using xor,  I have never used xor......  I am not clear on the reason for the option.