sending a detail drawing to layout

mikes616

I am trying to send a detail drawn at 1/4" to the layout page, changing the scale to 1/2".  The problem is that the dimensions and text double in size because of the scale change.  I seem to remember that there is a way to retain the dimension & text size while increasing the drawing scale.  Am I correct?  I suppose I could change the text and dimension sizes to half on the drawing and THEN send over but I don't think that is the right method. Please help.  X-8 user.  Many thanks.

Mark

To clarify/expand on what Perrry said…

You can very easily control that via layer sets and layer settings... which many people control and operate using annotation sets. There are a plethora of different approaches and by no means does this cover all of the variations, but in brief you can either:

A. Put different text and dimensions onto different layers. This way you have one group of dimensions and text for any given detail and/or scale and another group for the next detail and/or scale.

B. Set your text and/or dimensions text style to be controlled by layer. This way you can change the text style in any given layer set (in Layer Display Options) to a different scale and therefore use the same text and/or dimensions for various details and/or scales. Switching to the appropriate layer set would change the text styles to the appropriate scale.

C. Use a combination of the above.

Mark,

There is one small feature that allows you to change the dimension text height directly in layout on a per view basis.

But it is very basic and limited to dimension text only.

Open up the layout box dbx and on the General panel...Dimensions - you can change the dimension height for that layout box.

Mark,

There is one small feature that allows you to change the dimension text height directly in layout on a per view basis.

But it is very basic and limited to dimension text only.

Open up the layout box dbx and on the General panel...Dimensions - you can change the dimension height for that layout box.

Yes,  very limited  (dimensions only,  not for text).  An option if you really know what you are doing,  however I think I would recommend using anno/layer sets to control dimension text sizes.

The use of "Anno-sets" are perfect for that. one click and done

To clarify/expand on what Perrry said…

You can very easily control that via layer sets and layer settings... which many people control and operate using annotation sets. There are a plethora of different approaches and by no means does this cover all of the variations, but in brief you can either:

B. Set your text and/or dimensions text style to be controlled by layer. This way you can change the text style in any given layer set (in Layer Display Options) to a different scale and therefore use the same text and/or dimensions for various details and/or scales. Switching to the appropriate layer set would change the text styles to the appropriate scale.

In changing the scale of a CAD Detail, and using the above described method to control the appearance of text and dimensions, how do you get the dimension and text arrows to "automatically" resize when switching between Anno-sets?

Thanks

In changing the scale of a CAD Detail, and using the above described method to control the appearance of text and dimensions, how do you get the dimension and text arrows to "automatically" resize when switching between Anno-sets?

Thanks

3 part answer...

1.  I don't know of any way a person can get arrows to automatically change.  If you want different size arrows then I think you have to place multiple instances of those objects for the desired views or layer sets.

2.  Just to clarify, technically speaking nothing can be set to automatically resize by just switching between anno sets.  In all cases, its the change in layer sets that initiates the resize.  Some people might associate this change with the anno set, but that's only because they've set their anno set to change their layer set. 

3.  It wasn't part of the OP's question, but what you CAN do is utilize the full potential of anno sets and set up your desired arrow definitions in there.  Once you switch anno sets, any new dimensions or text you place will have the desired arrow size.  Using this approach though you would most likely be placing different text boxes and dimensions for the various scales or views instead of re-using existing and controlling the sizes with layer settings. 

Thanks

You just set up a different layer-sets with different scales in your anno-sets. very simple, then 1 click everything changes and is very fast but you have to set this up first. Using Anno-sets is a very fast way to change the way you draw but faster so you don't have to go into your layer-sets and change anything there