Pesky attic walls

Gawdzira

I am not sure what prompted this but this plan was working great until yesterday. This is done in X7. I can not get the garage on the first floor to believe that that rooms above all have the same ceiling height to be able to lower the garage ceiling. Maybe they don't and I am missing something. Help...

post-170-0-14668300-1468332202_thumb.jpg

Rut BU.zip

This is an interesting case.  I do not understand it.  I could not confirm DavidJames solution.

I opened the plan in X8,  yes,  X8,  I think Alan did it in X7.  When I opened the plan,  select garage,  open dvx,  I said some magic words,  I then closed the dvx and I saw the attached warning.  If I clicked OK,  all was well.

I cannot explain this behavior,  I do not know how Alan got to the position.

What I think is neat,  is that Alan has two different ceiling heights in the garage.  One is defined by the floor above,  and the other is defined by I do not know what.  

Glenn,  maybe you can explain this.

post-50-0-92768400-1468339264_thumb.png

post-50-0-30110900-1468339282_thumb.png

BTW,  Alan's flat roof over the porch is a great argument for having the ability to choose which edges of the roof  plane have and don't have fascia boards and shadow boards.

Perry and I have requested this for many versions......  and we still do not have the ability.......  or am I missing something?

I opened the plan in X8,  yes,  X8,  I think Alan did it in X7.  When I opened the plan,  select garage,  open dvx,  I said some magic words,  I then closed the dvx and I saw the attached warning.  If I clicked OK,  all was well.

That's very strange. I also opened it in X8 and didn't receive any errors. I simply opened up the room specification menu, removed roof and ceiling, clicked okay and everything appeared to be fine. 

This should solve your issue: 

Yes David James,  UNCHECK the boxes.  Nice job DJ.

But if I did not want to uncheck,  isn't there a way to fix via the dvx,  and how did Alan get in this position in the first place.

What I am getting at is,  I did not fix DJ's way......  but then maybe with DJ's solution we can have 2 ceiling heights in the garage.....  one defined by the floor above and the other defined by .....  errrrr....  something.

Interesting issue.

That's very strange. I also opened it in X8 and didn't receive any errors. I simply opened up the room specification menu, removed roof and ceiling, clicked okay and everything appeared to be fine. 

Note:  take a section thru garage,  note the higher ceiling....  only about 1 11/16"......  but suppose we want to keep the ceiling step?  How do we do it.

Scott, I will call soon to try and get to the root of this. But, in the mean time, the fix by DJ works. I kept clicking that without viewing the change on the exterior. I had been hoping it would give me the ability to change the ceiling height for the garage which seems to be the issue.

post-170-0-03258200-1468341691_thumb.jpg

Yes David James,  UNCHECK the boxes.  Nice job DJ.

But if I did not want to uncheck,  isn't there a way to fix via the dvx,  and how did Alan get in this position in the first place.

What I am getting at is,  I did not fix DJ's way......  but then maybe with DJ's solution we can have 2 ceiling heights in the garage.....  one defined by the floor above and the other defined by .....  errrrr....  something.

Interesting issue.

I have no idea how he ended up with two ceiling heights in the garage. Very interesting. 

Also, to fix the initial issue without removing the roof/ceiling in the garage, you can also outline the walls above with the "room divider" tool. Once the new room is created, you can adjust your ceiling height to match the other part of the garage, then delete the room divider lines. 

The gaps in the second floor walls are caused by the ceiling platform height set in the garage dbx (122 3/8"), which is a lot higher than the actual garage ceiling height (104 1/4").

It would appear that a manual roof was drawn over the front part of the garage which overrides the ceiling height set in the garage room dbx, but you still see the cutouts in the second floor walls for the garage room ceiling structure.

So OP has to put invisible walls to define a lowered ceiling height for the part of the garage that extends past the upstairs facade wall.

That way he can keep the rest of the garage at the higher ceiling height.

I also get this a lot even when I have a pitched roof over the extended garage front. I like to drop that part of the roof so there isn't too high of a wall above my garage doors.

I hate that look.

So OP has to put invisible walls to define a lowered ceiling height for the part of the garage that extends past the upstairs facade wall.

That way he can keep the rest of the garage at the higher ceiling height.

I also get this a lot even when I have a pitched roof over the extended garage front. I like to drop that part of the roof so there isn't too high of a wall above my garage doors.

I hate that look.