Basement foundation/framing walls

johnny

I prefer modelling things as close as possible to the way they will actually be constructed so I'd say 2 walls in most circumstances.  Not sure I can give you a lot of reasons per se...just feels better to me and I think it also offers a little better control. 

Usually always two walls. If you want any type of sub-floor structure such as dri-core etc. it will stop at wall not under it. Layers don't seem to help that since it is foundation wall. Also the slab will come up to frame wall not concrete wall. The other issue is that it will draw it all at the height of stem wall. Your top plates will not be right up to the the joists and no adjusting.

post-3379-0-23719100-1467955747_thumb.jpg

post-3379-0-61396500-1467955762_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Another reason...and the most important to me for keeping those basement wall as 2, is the ability to control the walls for construction docs. I want the ability to control the line type and color of that framed portion so that I can show it on both the basement floor plan, and the foundation plan with the appropriate line.

post-70-0-70402400-1467984789_thumb.png

post-70-0-68092000-1467984796_thumb.png

Another reason...and the most important to me for keeping those basement wall as 2, is the ability to control the walls for construction docs. I want the ability to control the line type and color of that framed portion so that I can show it on both the basement floor plan, and the foundation plan with the appropriate line.

Great comment,  I am assuming the retaining wall and the inside framed "furred wall" are on two different layers so you can control the line weight and style.  Good stuff Joey.

Yes. And fill the basement framed walls (if you choose to fill them) with the WALL FILL tool rather than in the wall type setup, so that the fill can be controlled by a layer as well, separate from the fill of the retaining/stem walls.

Another good tip.

I have never used the wall fill tool because it is an extra step.  It might be a good option...... I have to think about this............... the wall type setup fill can be controlled by layers.....  so the question is.....  is there a time that I  would want the wall fill shown yet I would not want to see the wall layers.......  if I only want to see the wall fill when the wall layers are turned on,  I do not think the wall fill tool will be necessary.