Screen Porch Wall - need help

SNestor

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

I need to create a screen porch that looks similar to the attached plan.  There will be a lower wall with siding on both sides about 30" tall.  It will be capped with a 2x piece of trim.  The porch posts will be 3 1/2" square.  The ceiling will be the underside of the rafters.  

In the attached plan I used a half wall...then added the posts using P-Solids.  I used a molding line to create the beam above the posts.  

The problem I am having is the porch needs a screen door...and I don't think I can insert a screen door into a "half wall".  When I insert the door...it only allows the door to be as tall as the wall (which makes perfect sense...).  So...I don't believe I can create this porch using this approach.  

I thought of using a railing wall with solid panels that look just like the attached porch with the wall design....however, the panels break in between each post.  Maybe this method will work...but I'm not sure how to make it work.  

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.  

post-227-0-42916000-1467924070_thumb.png

Screen Porch with half wall.plan

• Solution

1.  Use a Solid Railing Wall

2.  Set it as Post to Beam

3.  Insert a Doorway

4.  Modify the Doorway to a Hinged Door and change the Door Height.

5.  Make whatever modifications you need to the Newells, Rails, etc.

Note:  You might need to use a Molding Polyline for the Wall Cap since the Top Railing on the Wall will be interrupted by the posts.  You will also need to add a 3d Molding Polyline as the Door Frame and use of a Door Symbol will make it possible to set the y origin offset.

1.  Use a Solid Railing Wall

2.  Set it as Post to Beam

3.  Insert a Doorway

4.  Modify the Doorway to a Hinged Door and change the Door Height.

5.  Make whatever modifications you need to the Newells, Rails, etc.

Thats it...Thanks Joe!  

Also...I did use a molding polyline for the cap and the screen...I'll have to experiment with your suggestion for the door.  Never have done that before.