Break Wall Tool - Snap

Tim_Houston

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

I assume there is a tool setting where I can tell the Break Wall tool not too snap to the middle of a wall intersection if I get too close.  For example, I have a four foot wall corner to corner and I want to Break Wall 6" from either side to show this as a 3' doorway I'm closing in.  My current setup the Break Wall snaps to the corners.  

I saw in a search to look for "Edit Wall Layer Intersections tool" but I cant find that.

Thanks,

Tim

Hey Tim, Not exactly sure what you are needing to do but it seems like for the doorway might be just as simple to leave the doorway and insert a new "reno" wall into the doorway and it should be able to be sized in elevation view and framed just the way you would typically do that in reality.

If you are still looking for the Edit wall layer intersections tool it looks this: post-4797-0-04594400-1467921614.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Solution

Hey Tim, I'm not sure I would be using wall breaks for what you're talking about; however, you should be able to accomplish what you're doing in at least a couple different ways that come to mind...

Method 1:   Place the 2 breaks wherever they land, select the wall section in the center, open it, click on the Wall Type tab, click Define, click Copy, rename if desired, click OK and then OK again.  Now you should be able to resize that center section freely by dragging the longer wall section.  You can resize the shorter section too but it will probably separate from the other wall when you do that.  In other words,  its better to push than to pull.  

Method 2:  Place a short section of Room Divider at the location where you want the break.  This will  cause the break to snap to your room divider.

I personally prefer the first method, when you make the extra wall type copy it keeps the wall from "healing" when you try to make any modifications. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think it will help in your particular situation, but... 

You can usually use the Tab key to precisely place a wall break along a wall length.

Click the Wall Break tool.

Snap and drag along the wall from the end of the wall.

Hit Tab.

Enter the distance and angle.

In your case the 6" is below what I believe is a Chief restriction on wall length.

This works OK with wall lengths over about 10".