Landscape Plans in Chief

dshall

I am interested in learning how to do landscape plans in  Chief.  Does anybody have something they can share?  Either PDF's or files.  I would consider doing a workshop on landscape plans if anybody was interested.

I have a few ideas that I would like to run by anybody that has some expertise with landscape plans.  One of the topics I would be interested in would be discussing creating unique symbols for the different plants and trees.  

• Upvote 1

I think Chief wouldn't be bad for landscape design but their 2D symbols are VERY far off from professional standards.  Considering that you can remap the 2d symbols associated with the 3d, and use transparencies now, it would take some work but doable.

The only other thing I notice is Chief gets really bogged down went using a lot of plants.

I think Chief wouldn't be bad for landscape design but their 2D symbols are VERY far off from professional standards. 

I agree,  but I think we can fix that ourselves....  it is just a hassle,  I wish they would do it,  the other option if for a group of us to figure out how we want it done and if each of us took a small bite out of the apple,  it would be much easier.

Considering that you can remap the 2d symbols associated with the 3d, and use transparencies now, it would take some work but doable.

I agree

The only other thing I notice is Chief gets really bogged down went using a lot of plants.

Uhhhhh,  yeah....

Thanks JPC

I am interested in learning how to do landscape plans in  Chief.  Does anybody have something they can share?  Either PDF's or files.  I would consider doing a workshop on landscape plans if anybody was interested.

I have a few ideas that I would like to run by anybody that has some expertise with landscape plans.  One of the topics I would be interested in would be discussing creating unique symbols for the different plants and trees.  

I did all my landscape plans in VCAD. Developed my own symbols and sprinkler info. But it was 2d only. Chief is way to cumbersome to do that.

Scott,

Are you talking about doing them in 2D or 3D?

Chief has a pretty good collection of 2D cad blocks for trees and plants in a bonus library - Cad Image Blocks.

They also have plenty of 3D trees and plants.

It is really easy to change a 2D cad block for a 3D plant symbol.

Just assign one of the 2D cad plant blocks to the 3D symbol - takes 5 seconds - sorry, 5.332 seconds.

post-106-0-44241900-1467849803_thumb.jpg

Scott,

Are you talking about doing them in 2D or 3D?

Chief has a pretty good collection of 2D cad blocks for trees and plants in a bonus library - Cad Image Blocks.

They also have plenty of 3D trees and plants.

It is really easy to change a 2D cad block for a 3D plant symbol.

Just assign one of the 2D cad plant blocks to the 3D symbol - takes 5 seconds - sorry, 5.332 seconds.

I am talking 2d and 3D. I do understand how to select a different cad block to use as a symbol for a plant whether it be 2d or 3D.

I have not done a lot of landscape plans, but I do remember there is a method to the madness..... I.e. Whether the symbol line style is dependent on the LINE STYLE or the BLOCK LAYER.

I am hoping to hook up with a few users to see if they have a few tips they might share.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm also interested to learn about landscape design documentation in Chief Architect.  I would rather have everything contained in one file but I will check out the other programs mentioned.  I know this was posted a while ago- 

Katharine

I'm sure Scott would do a seminar online if we had someone that does landscape plans to lead the discussion. I don't know of anyone here, even Chief has no video's on the subject.. Chief does have the tools for it.

I did my whole landscape design with Chif Arch x9 

very professional and great looking 

the ARC board was very impressed and loved the plan, 

you need to look around the net and find extra libraries of trees and plants and play around with them , change the color and size and label them

make a nice list numbered and add it to your plan. perhaps a rendering in color and blow them away...

I had to figure out most of it by playing around with chief arch. , we need more videos on this 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I'm sure Scott would do a seminar online if we had someone that does landscape plans to lead the discussion. I don't know of anyone here, even Chief has no video's on the subject.. Chief does have the tools for it.

Yes,  I would host the online seminar.  We just need someone who has some good infos to share.

Any volunteers?  It does not pay well,  the hours are bad,  and you have to put up with the host,  other than that,  not a bad gig.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/6/2016 at 6:31 PM, dshall said:

I am talking 2d and 3D. I do understand how to select a different cad block to use as a symbol for a plant whether it be 2d or 3D.

I have not done a lot of landscape plans, but I do remember there is a method to the madness..... I.e. Whether the symbol line style is dependent on the LINE STYLE or the BLOCK LAYER.

I am hoping to hook up with a few users to see if they have a few tips they might share.

I made these in CA using CA's blocks and some of my own modifications..simple really. Could be made to be color aw/overlays etc:

Distribution paths work well for landscaping, especially spline distribution ares with randomized rotation and scale:

5af60ab00a723_FrontYardTallFINAL.thumb.png.11e4ed278402d08cd878c40fb7231111.png

also with minimal effort you can do some vectorwork-ish stuff in chief using slab cylinders, transparent gradients and png materials:

vectorwork-ish.thumb.jpg.a9812f1ee619489e7964bdaac6dbf79f.jpg