Electrical connections

Caddyman

Go to solution Solved by Caddyman,

Hello All,

I starting an electrical plan today and inserted a fan/light combo. I can connect it to a one switch (for the light) just fine. When I try and connect the fan to a seperate switch it won't connect or I get the 3-way. This used to work. Is there a setting that changes this? I just upgraded to the latest version of x6. I even went back to an older plan which I had previously done and the same thing happens on a connection that was already there. Anyone else having this issue? It also happens on the exhaust fan light combo.

Steve

Chief 4-X6

Asus i74770 3.4 32gb Win8 Nvidia GeForce GTX760

I never use Chiefs electrical connection for line work.  What I do is change the current cad layer to electrical connections and then use arcs to make my connections.  I found that I can control arcs a whole lot better than I can Chiefs electrical connection arcs.

• Upvote 1

• Solution

Michael,

I do the same thing for stairs and a few other items that need special noting it just takes a few extra steps. The fan light combo worked well before so I think it has to be something simple, I just don't know what or where it is.

I am not seeing the problem you are seeing but I know the "auto change" setting will turn off this behavior.

It probably has something to do with the "options" in the fan symbol.  If you use the open symbol tool on the fan and compare the options with what you have with a normal light, you might be able to figure it out.  I found that if I unchecked the option for "fan" that the fan then acted like a normal light and would change the switches into 3-way switches. All of the fan symbols that I checked in my library all had the "fan" option selected but maybe yours are different.

• 3 years later...

How do I draw a 3 way circuit between floors - top and bottom of stairs?  Trying to figure out how to connect the switches and lights on the two different floors.  Is there a way to get the old traditional circuit line with an arrow when the fixture is off the plan?

You can draw a regular line or arc and put an arrow on the end and match the line style and colour but I often just run my electrical connection right to a text box that explains the situation so there is no mistake.  Smoke detectors are the same problem and can't be ignored.