Mac vs. Windows

djhplanning

I currently have a laptop and desktop running windows.  I have to buy a new version of windows 10 ($200) because my laptop runs vista (can't get free upgrade if you have vista).  I am considering saving that money for the new windows 10 and putting it towards upgrading to a mac book and eventually upgrading my desktop from pc to mac when it needs to be done.  Does anyone know if I can use Chief Architect on my desktop PC like I do now and also on a new macbook as well.  Would there be any conflicts if I work on a file on my desktop pc and then work on it away from the office on a mac book?  As long as I download the appropriate software from Chiefs website, I don't think this would be a problem but if anyone can confirm, please do.

An iMac should run Chief just fine.  Make sure you specify the fastest video card.  I never understood why many people said they loved their Macs and would never go back to a PC until i switched.  The only reason I purchased a Windows based laptop was to run FPS shooter games as the video card on my MacPro was no longer compatible with the latest DirectX.

Dan you will not be disappointed with a Mac.

Alan

I've never heard a story like SRC's and have no reason to not trust his/her version. I also haven't used a Mac in years so can't comment first hand.

Both Macs and Windows machines seem to be fine for most users and I like the ability to customize a Windows machine, others do not.

I rather value my hard earned cash and find there's no need to spend more on a Mac where, for me, there's no added value. Others like the culture and one company attitude and its perceived benefits, me I run from Apple for just that reason.

Can you compare apples to apples with the 2 system approaches? Difficult, but generally you get more bang for your buck with a Windows machine and Chief does indeed require lots of bang.

I have an iMac...bought specifically for use with Chief. It works flawlessly. A windows machine will be less costly for similar specs no doubt. However...my Mac is the first Apple computer I have ever owned and I have been using a computer since 1990. I have to say...its the best computer I have ever owned.

The beauty of the mac is how  the apps are integrated in iCloud,  something I just learned this weekend.  Specifically the word app,  the spreadsheet,  the iPhoto,  notes, keynote/powerpoint and etc.  The iCloud may be an alternative to drop box.  I also like how my calendar and contacts and browser are all synced to my other devices,  the iPhone,  the iPad and the IWife.

Also,  if I am not mistaken,  the word,  spreadsheet and powerpoint are free with the mac,  including updated operating systems.   All free.

But here is the real value for me with the mac.  If I have any questions or  issues with the mac,  I can call their hotline and they will help me solve the problem at NO CHARGE.  I can also take free workshops at the apple store whenever I want.  So the mac may be more expensive upfront,  but if you include  customer service and the free apps,  I find the extra cost well worth it.

However before CA was ported to the mac,  I used a PC and it worked just fine.  Both platforms work well.

....plus Apple makes you look all edgy, hip and design oriented.

Clients who own apple products will be impressed that you use apple and clients who use pc's are in awe of this mysterious machine they usually only see in movies.

in short, Apple = $$$

I actually carry around my 21" imac to see clients. Very portable for a desktop. Little wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse.

From the feedback, minds are blown.

I do my main work with CA on a 27" IMac. Other than occasionally freezing up, I prefer it to the pc I used to use. I also run CA on a Windows 10 laptop. It has never frozen. What I do find though that catches me out at times is text when switching. Looks fine on the mac, then has to be "fixed" when running on Windows laptop. (Using Arial Narrow on both machines). Not sure why this happens. I have assumed that Apple's Arial must be slightly different to Windows.

Hope this helps.

I think the OP was asking about issues in switching back & forth between PC & Mac, not just moving exclusively to Mac. I have done this with very few issues, but you need to make sure that fonts are consistent between both platforms. If you can get the same fonts on both systems, I have had no problem with using the same file on both systems, but as DTCBuild says, there can be slight inconsistencies in versions which can throw things off. I've since just gone to exclusively PC, not due to any complaint about the Mac, just not spending time in the Mac office I was briefly working at. FWIW, I did find trying to master two slightly different keyboard systems very annoying (Command vs.Ctrl and Option vs. Alt, etc.) It takes a little key remapping before you stop making so many typing mistakes due to switching back and forth.