Wall Joints

rfhager2169

So previously I used Chief10 and was fairly decent with it.  then I changed jobs.  Now I'm back to using Chief X8 on the side for a friend and trying to learn some of the upgrades and changes that have been made.

Currently, I'm trying to draw a walk out bay, and I need a flat section of wall inside before the angle starts.  I'm sure in 10 there was a wall tolerance that could be set for the min length of a wall (maybe not, its been a while).  I cant seem to find any setting that helps, and the flat section of wall I need dives right into the angle when I set the measurement (making the flat wall disappear).  any guidance?

Attached file to show a pic of what I'm trying to say

post-7785-0-61013900-1467589930_thumb.jpg

I know this sort of thing can be frustrating for sure - Chief's wall snapping is tough to work with sometimes in these situations.  However, in your case I didn't seem to have an issue you mention, so I am curious what I am doing you aren't.  I think you should draw the bay with lines to create guild-lines to snap to - although I just entered 4" and no problem without lines.

post-75-0-21554400-1467595068_thumb.jpg

Sorry Rfhager, At first I did not see all the details but this is my best stab at the situation as I see it now, a little more complex with a thicker wall. Make the Cad Patch a Polyline Solid and the brickwork will look ok in 3D.  Maybe someone with a little more know how can take a look at this and iron out the details for me. I am hoping there is a better way.

P.S. Sorry I got a little sloppy, if the wall is 45o then the filler wall should be 1 11/16" as in previous post.

post-4797-0-40093900-1467600397_thumb.jpg

Thanks Glenn, You make that look soo easy. I am kinda embarrassed at how much I struggled to make that work with the thick wall but your technique worked for that to. Always learning. Such Finesse!!

Thanks Again Glenn, Chopsaw

Yep.  Good tip Glenn.

As with a lot of these wall connection issues, the solution is often in the smallest details of the operation, the order, the sequence, etc.  Here's another take...

If you use the right wall along with the right movement method it works fine...

post-46-0-55882300-1467867469_thumb.pngpost-46-0-04108700-1467867848_thumb.png

The more difficult problem in my mind is (as Chopper pointed out)...the outside layers in situations like that...

post-46-0-80538700-1467867650_thumb.png

Yes, I got the same results with Glenn's method and the Brick 4 Wall but in 3D it is essentially an overlap and does not show. So for this situation I am quite happy to do a little 2D cad touch up now that I know with the right approach this type of thing can be accomplished in Chief. Which when you think about it is really quite amazing what the software can do considering that most of the planet is still building with sticks and stones in one way or another.

I'm away from my computer right now, but off the top of my head, the first thing I think I might try would just be to place a break, select the little wall and change the wall type to a copy of the existing wall type.

I'm sure there are other solutions but that one is usually pretty stable.

Johnny,  If your movement method indicators are not available as in Michaels method ( post #12 )  I would try to back off the stubby wall, set the other, then bring the stubby one back to position with Glenn's method.  Not sure but worth a try.

P.S.  My headset blew up last night too.  Maybe the same lot # ?

Thanks for the suggestions but neither worked. Im stuck on this.

That can't be true, my method works fine. I know it does. I use it all the time and I tested it on your plan too when I got back to the office. Maybe I'm missing what you're trying to accomplish?