Business Card Question

Diamond-built

If your plans need to meet wind load or seismic load then you will need an engineer.  Floor loads maybe.  If the lumber company is providing the trusses then they can provide the roof/floor calc's.  

probably depends on your plans

I find this to be the case also. If your build (typically additions)is with conventional lumber and isn't pushing any boundaries,

most departments will let it through. Once you introduce any type of engineered product, at minimum you'll need a stamp for that/those

items. Any large additions or full house plans, I just go ahead and get them reviewed and stamped.

You need to check carefully within your jurisdiction, governing codes and professional authorities to get a clear understanding as to what you can and can't do according to your particular skill set and professional designation.

Most regions have particular requirements based upon the type, size and accupancy designation of a structure concerning what if any type of professional designation is required for the preparation and submission of plans for permits. Even if a structure type does not mandate the use of an Architect most jurisdictions would still require an Engineers stamp for structural items and changes, this would be applicable even were the Homeowner is permitted to prepare and submit the plans.

You should also be very clear as to what is legally required versus what might be going on. An example relates to the acceptance of Homeowner submissions. In my jurisdiction where this is permitted they are specific that the plans are to be prepared by the Homeowner and submitted by the Homeowner. If they suspect that the plans were actually prepared for the homeowner by another that the homeowner paid (contracted) then they can refuse the submission. This is similar to the situation where a homeowner who is not an electrician can perform electrical work in their home but if you are paid by the homeowner to do electrical work in their home then you the contractor must be a certified electrician.

Graham