Custom Angled Windows

olyconstruction

Hi ChiefTalk,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a technique to create an angled window. I am doing a As-Built of this funky old house that has two weird angled windows. The bottom is 1' across, then goes up 5', comes back across 7' and then connects at a 45 degree angle. Is there a good workflow for creating these custom window types? Please let me know!

Sincerely,

AB

Thank you for the help!

Chopsaw - It is exactly like that. I was able to get the shape with the dimensions I need. The part I am stuck on now is rotating the window 180 degrees. Do you know how?

Alaska Son - That thread was very helpful, it told me al ot of what I needed to know. When people say "window symbol", what does that mean? Is that like a collection of P-Solids? 

I am a CA freshman for sure, I am used to working in Revit. Does CA have a "family editor" feature where you can make your own imported fixtures or is it all SketchUp based?

Thanks,

AB

Just about to head out the door, but in brief...

No, a window symbol is not a collection of 3D solids (although it can be), a symbol in Chief is more or less the equivalent of what I understand Revit families to be. The way as person would create a window symbol in this particular instance (what I would do anyway):

1. Place the window in a wall (probably easiest to do in a blank plan).

2. Use the Delete Surface tool to delete everything except the window (probably easiest to do in an elevation view which produces less surfaces to deal with).

3. Tools>Symbol>Convert to Symbol

4. Check Add To Library and Under Symbol Category select Window.

If you realize additional surfaces need to be deleted, just place the window in a blank plan and delete additional surfaces as necessary (could be done in an elevation view or a perspective view).

That should at least get you started.

Okay, I have something that works now! Once the window is converted to a symbol, then it can be rotated. I am just kind of curious though, the windows that come from the window tool are not symbols already? What is the correct terminology for something created right out of the window tool and something converted to a 3D symbol? Also,  does that mean they will not appear in the schedule automatically?

Thanks so much, my original question has been answered. 

AB

Oly, Once you have successfully created the window symbol it can be rotated about the Y axis in the Symbol DBX under the 3D tab.

Chop,  were you able to put the window you created into a plan?  Because of the shape  (reflected vertically),  I think you have an opening in the wall once that window is placed in wall.  

If you were able to do it,  would you mind posting the plan>?

Thanks

Congratulations Oly,

Seems like you completed that like an expert unlike the committee effort last time.

A window created from the DBX I would classify as a Window.

A window created from the DBX or any variety of other methods and converted to a Symbol, I would classify as a Window Symbol.

See Attached to include in Schedule.

Post your results if you have time so we all know what works.

post-4797-0-62677500-1467738944_thumb.jpg

It appears I have spoken too soon. I swear to you I had the window symbol in there and it had glass in the middle and placed right in the center of the wall like a window. I went back to check on it and it looks like just a window frame in a wall. I even reopened the plan to see if it was a random graphics issue but no dice. Very discouraging.

Mr. Hall, I am not sure if you meant to call me Mark (I am Alex), but I have attached a plan with the sad broken window in it. It is on the back part of the model by the decks. Let me know if you can figure anything out from the symbols there, its particularly strange because the 3d preview in the DBX has a glass pane in it!

Chopsaw, thank you for the schedule tip, but unfortunately it looks like I am back to the drawing board. I guess my next tactic would be to cut out a section of the wall and fill it in with a P-Solid and convert it to glass, unless you have a better or easier way. 

Let me know what you guys think!

AB

BYRONE AS BUILT 2.plan

Alex, I have not looked at you plan yet but it sounds like you did not select "Window" when creating the Symbol as it will cut hole in the wall that creates another problem that we all had to work on before in that the hole it cuts is square and then has to be filled.

I am currently working on my original test plan and will post when I get it all ironed out.

They are all a bit of a hassle and there is a lot of manual work no matter what you do, but bear in mind that there are several different methods a person can use to deal with the little patch area created by the rectangular window hole including...

-Simply patching with polyline solids

-Using a symbol that is NOT set as a window, using material regions to cut holes in the wall, and manually editing framing.

-Using polyline solids for the exterior wall layers.

-Using multiple thinner walls and using material regions to cut holes in the walls used for your finish layers.

- Maybe using a no room definition wall for the patch.

...the list could probably go on. I'll try to make a video if I can find a little spare time.

Almost there guys, sorry for the delay, just a few issues with the interior trim that I think Rich had as well from the shadow I can see in his screen shot.  I got the 2D Floor plan figured out but still have some issues with the Window schedule that need to be figured out before this is finished.

Maybe Scott or Michael could take a look while I have something to eat.  Feel free to make a video with my plan if you like as I am not quite set up to do that yet. But I am working on it so please put my name on the credit list.

Thanks, Chopsaw

post-4797-0-30163400-1467757451_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-32306300-1467757455_thumb.jpg

6015 Window Creation b.plan

Alex, haven't had a chance to make any kind of video yet, but I did get a chance to open your plan and Chopsaw was correct. You skipped the last half of Step 4...under Symbol Category select Window.

Having said that, you CAN use the symbol as-is if you apply a material region to both sides of you wall (in elevation views) that are the same size and shape as you window RO, set them to Cut Finish Layer Of Parent Object, put them on their own layer, and turn that layer off. Then Build Framing for that wall, manually modify it as necessary, and check Retain Wall Framing.  You might also want to manually place a CAD block for that window. 

Here's a very rough idea of what I'm talking about using your plan.  Note how I made the window schedule work by using a place holder wall and window off to the side and just dragging the window label over.  Also, just FYI... I didn't spend the time to actually get the wall framing correct, just deleted the necessary studs to give you the rough idea.

If there's one thing I would probably do differently it would be to create a CAD block of the plan view associated with the original window before converting to symbol and then use that instead of using the automatically created CAD block that I used. 

BYRONE AS BUILT 2 (MODIFIED).zip

post-46-0-12899000-1467792394_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-37230100-1467792406_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-37080700-1467792415_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-31376000-1467792424_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-94697100-1467792434_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Almost there guys, sorry for the delay, just a few issues with the interior trim that I think Rich had as well from the shadow I can see in his screen shot.  I got the 2D Floor plan figured out but still have some issues with the Window schedule that need to be figured out before this is finished.

Maybe Scott or Michael could take a look while I have something to eat.  Feel free to make a video with my plan if you like as I am not quite set up to do that yet. But I am working on it so please put my name on the credit list.

Thanks, Chopsaw

Hey Chopsaw, here's what I think works best using your plan.  Multiple walls but otherwise very similar to what I did in the post and plan above along with a few other minor modifications.  My conclusion...

It's easier to use a NON-WINDOW symbol like in the first example.  The window symbol comes with too many automated features that just make it a pain to deal with. 

6015 Window Creation b-1 MODIFIED.zip

post-46-0-81923400-1467820392_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-33094400-1467820402_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-59627900-1467820412_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-00115600-1467820423_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-68118300-1467820433_thumb.jpg

Hey!

So I tried the window symbol approach and it looks like it wont let me rotate it that way. I am going to try your method tomorrow Michael. Thank you for all the help too, you are really going above and beyond the call of duty and I salute you for it. 

Alex, See post #7 and just rotate 180o in Y axis or if you did not trim the correct ( opposite ) upper corner then you can use the regular DBX and reverse anytime. Also good for symmetrical layouts.

post-4797-0-54164700-1467850474_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-13016100-1467850476_thumb.jpg