Gable ends missing

MBagshaw

Can anyone tell me why my gable ends aren't automatically building up to the roof height? The attached screenshot shows a typical example, in this case it's a shed roof but I have the same problem with gables. Every CA video I have watched shows the wall at a gable end automatically filling in up to the roof, which is what I'd expect, and I created a new plan with a simple structure with gable ends and it also worked as I would expect. But I must have done something in this plan to mess that up, and none of the options I have tried to change seem to fix it. The attached example is particularly odd as a small section of the wall on the left-hand side has gone up to the right height, and I can't see anything about the wall itself that shows that section of the wall being different to the rest (it is a single stretch of wall). I'm using CA X8.

By the way, I have put up a couple of other posts asking what must seem like inane questions (I'm new to this and using CA just to design my own home), but you guys have been fantastic responding – thanks for taking the time to do so!

post-11160-0-73815200-1467332931_thumb.png

Thanks Jerry. I'm not quite sure how I did it, but it seems I have fixed one of the walls that had the missing side (the one that the left-hand side of the wall was okay, but most of it was empty) – I edited that small piece of attic wall, and when I went back to the plan the whole wall was filled in to the roof. The walls on the side of that room (lounge/dining/kitchen) still have gaps between the top of the wall and the roof. As you can see in the screen capture below, I added another manual roof plane over the study, but the same problem has occurred there – the gable is missing from all of the walls (I have raised the roof by 600 mm, hence even the wall under the lowest part of the roof is also missing the gable).

I'm confused about the way this works. With a gable/shed roof, is the program meant to automatically generate an attic wall that sits on top of the main wall to take that wall from the ceiling to the roof, or does it just extend the main wall up to the roof? Whatever it is intended to do, clearly I've done something to stop it doing so. I just can't see anything either in the roof settings or the wall settings that are obviously wrong.

post-11160-0-35083700-1467348478_thumb.png

Hi Mark, I am not quite seeing the same thing as Jerry.  I was able to select 3 of your existing attic walls and open them and select "High Shed/Gable Wall" and they all rebuilt to the underside of the roof.  And I assume if you do the same thing with the others that will work fine.

post-4797-0-16850700-1467350260_thumb.jpg

Hi Chopsaw,

How did you select the Attic walls? Maybe I really need to go back to basics and revisit how to select, because I just don't seem to be able to find anything in that space to select.

The other thing that I really don't understand is why it is doing this in the first place. Surely there must be some setting I have inadvertently changed to specify that the attic wall is invisible? I was expecting that all I would do is specify a wall as Gable/Shed and the space above the wall up to the roof would automatically be filled in – to try this out I created a new plan with a very simple for wall structure with the two when all specified as gable walls, and it did automatically fill in the area of the gable above the wall itself.

Attic wall layout is on. From what I can see it doesn't look like attic walls are being generated at all for gable/shed walls – it seems like there is a blank space in the area from the top of the main wall up to the roof. I certainly don't seem to be able to select anything in that blank area.

Mark, I was just working in a Perspective Full Overview and selecting walls in 3D. I am not seeing duplicate or invisible walls like Jerry said. But on the Right side of the shot in post 15 there was a approximately 20 cm attic wall on top of your main floor wall and that is what I adjusted there. The front wall had a stagger and I selected it and it rebuilt.

Okay, I think I'm starting to make a bit of progress here. As you suggested, Chopsaw, I can finally select the attic walls by going up to the attic layer in the floorplan (I'm still baffled why I can't select the attic wall from a 3-D Perspective or cross-section). When I do select one of the "missing" attic walls and open its properties, the "invisible" checkbox is not selected, but the wall itself doesn't appear in the preview panel. If I first tick the invisible box, then un-tick it, it "magically" appears in the preview panel, then shows up correctly on the 3-D perspective. I also get a message to say that the "operation modifies one or more automatically generated walls. The walls will be retained and will not regenerate automatically" – is that normal?

And I am still trying to understand why all of this doesn't happen automatically. I can see that the attic walls in any videos I've watched about gable/shed walls generate automatically, and when I create a simple four wall floorplan from scratch in a new plan and make two of the walls gable walls, the attic walls above the main gable walls generate automatically as well. So why am I having to do all of this manually on the plan I'm working on?

Mark, Check your Preferences under the Architectural tab and Walls section try Unselecting "Select Room Before Wall in 3D". This will make selecting main floor walls easier but does not effect attic walls. Otherwise you will have to Tab a lot.  Not to sure what is going on with the preview panel and the invisible walls.

The message is annoying but normal.  Not sure why it is not all working automatically but it may have something to do with the manual roof planes. I don't have enough experience to call that one for you.

I reset my copy of the plan so you could see what the 3D selection should look like.

post-4797-0-84809100-1467356413_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-93246100-1467356601_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-51244500-1467356606_thumb.jpg

Mark, I think I found a solution that you will like. Try raising your living room ceiling height to 4 m and set all your main floor walls to " High Shed/Gable Wall" then under the structure tab select "Default Wall Top Height" and this should rebuild the walls the way you are expecting them to be without attic walls.  I think this will work fine for the way you are building.

post-4797-0-74458700-1467392562_thumb.jpg