How would I draw a recessed beveled window?

BlackDiamond

Go to solution Solved by justmejerry,

I have a client who wants a window similar to the attached picture (the clerestory one). I know how to recess it but the bevel is beyond me. I've tried a beveled casing but it doesn't even come close to looking the same....

​Thanks for your help.

post-1335-0-20527900-1467250272_thumb.jpg

Your picture did not post but if the windows are square it should not be too difficult by using a truncated pyramid polyline shape and applying glass material to it. Then just a bit of work to get it sized and positioned and the normal glass material changed to "Opening (no material)". However if they are not square there will be quite a bit more cad work to make it happen.

post-4797-0-35321600-1467250200_thumb.jpg

This is what I refer to as a bucked wall.  do a search for the bucking wall thread and you might get some additional insight.  Perry came up with the best solution for my case.

Jerry,  did you draw a small plan with an example of your solution?

I only drew up plan to see if moulding would work just as Eric did. I agree it doesn't look correct with the way Chief chooses to show mouldings in plan view. Why they show max area it occupies instead of profile is beyond me. I would just create a second exterior mouldings layer and use simple polyline to show the 45's and turn off original if this type of window was plan wide. The bucking wall method doesn't produce a 45 line either. I think it all depends on what original poster is using for wall structure.

post-3379-0-04391500-1467310899_thumb.jpg

.....The bucking wall method doesn't produce a 45 line either.....

attachicon.gif45 degree.jpg

very true.....  I do not think a 3d molding would work either.....  I do not know what the ideal solution would be...   the bucking wall works the best in section....  but it does have many downsides...

Sometimes we want the software to do everything like the old school paper and pencil in all views but that just doesn't happen. There's always  some editing in "custom" situations. If it could do everything how we perceive it should be done then I would have more time for fishing lol.