3-d perspective views

LSdrafting

After upgrading to X8, I have noticed the 3-D views are becoming distorted, is anyone else having a problem with this?  This is one of the best features of this program and my clients love that I can show these but ever since I upgraded they don't look the same as before.

yes, that is the problem I am having, Dackman. the view looks great but when I rotate it to get the right angle that I want that is when it starts to become distorted and then if you scroll in to get closer it then distorts it even more. The rotation of the perspective view is different.

3D>Camera View Options...check Perspective Crop Mode.  This should behave like what you're used to.  There were some changes made to X8 to allow for better 3D navigation.  By default now the camera actually moves when you zoom in (Perspective Crop Mode unchecked or toggled off).  What it used to do was actually zoom the camera without moving it (Perspective Crop Mode checked or toggled on).

• Upvote 1

I have recently upgrade to version 8 and also do not like the new camera changes. I love the way they worked in version 7. If some of you would please guide me how to restore the version 7 functionality as the default I would certainly appreciate it. I have searched the help files and the menus they recommend but do not see a way to set the "crop" feature as a default. It appears that it has to be done for every camera individually. Is that right? I don't like them "moving" on me every time I zoom or pan; it is driving me crazy -- and I don't have very far to go! :wacko:

Thanks in advance, Mike

Mike,

Open a blank plan, toggle Crop Mode on, and then File>Templates>Save As Template...select your Profile Plan. 

Or, make the change, Save As and select your Profile Plan. 

Or, simply open your Profile Plan, make the change, and then Save and close. 

NOTE:  If you're using a plan other than the Profile Plan as your template, make the changes to that plan file instead.

Michael, don't you still have to do this individually for each camera in the plan? I don't see a way to do this for all cameras at once or before new ones are created - as in a default.

Mike

You're right.  I guess I wasn't thinking about that being a view specific setting.  I guess your best bet might just be to get used to hitting P (the default hotkey assigned to the Perspective Crop Mode) or add the tool to your toolbar for quick access, or both. 

You might want to actually post this as a suggestion.  I think it would be a good one.  I personally like Perspective Crop Mode toggled off, but I think it should be in Preferences or Defaults somewhere for those that want it on. 

You're right.  I guess I wasn't thinking about that being a view specific setting.  I guess your best bet might just be to get used to hitting P (the default hotkey assigned to the Perspective Crop Mode) or add the tool to your toolbar for quick access, or both. 

Thanks, Michael - that's just what I do. But, to me, there should be a way to set it as a default. I am sure the CA programmers thought changing the camera operation was a great idea. And maybe it was for some. But, from the sound of it here on the forum, many just don't agree and like the "old" way better. Upgrades - you gotta' love 'um.

Mike

For anyone reading this topic, I went to the Suggestions section (thanks Michael) and put in as a request the ability to have a toggle for the "perspective crop" feature in X8. This essentially changes those cameras to act like X7. If you would like this feature, please go to that section and add your 2-cents.

Thanks, Mike

If you use saved cameras in you default floor plan, you can toggle this setting on for each camera and then save the template plan.

This is a per camera setting, so it will stick to the saved cameras in the template plan.

Because it is a per camera setting, it will stick with any saved camera in your plan.

But, yes, I agree, this should be a default setting.

Adjust the Field of View setting.  Version X8 had a default setting of 60 degrees and makes everything look stretched out.  I usually view everything with it set at 40 - 45 degrees.  Double click on the Full Camera icon and you should be able to set the camera defaults.

• Upvote 2

It's the default hot-key for the Perspective Crop mode for that camera - and that camera only. You will have to type it for every perspective camera you open if you want similar movement to X7; and the camera has to be open and you are in that camera view on your monitor - from my understanding.

Mike