Room on 1st floor open to 2nd floor above

CGC_LLC

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

I am designing a 2 story house.  A portion of the living space on the 1st floor will be open to the 2nd floor ceiling.  I am having difficulty getting the walls to not show the break between floors.  I can see the break where the interior finish, (drywall, insulation, etc.) starts and stops between floors.  I have tried to change the wall height in that room which fixes the interior finish break but, the room specifications want to add a floor above the 2nd floor ceiling.

I think you would really be best served if you were to post the plan.  There are simply too many variables to give you anything other than guesses otherwise.  And at the very least you should usually post a screenshot of your problem just so we can see what you're talking about. 

• Solution

Thanks for posting the plan.  Your problem is in the method you're using to create the open to above/below situation.  The way I would typically recommend handling that situation in Chief would not be with holes through the floor but rather with a room definition.  Build walls on the second floor (either invisible or visible as necessary) to enclose a "room" above the area you would like open and then use the room type "Open Below".  It may help to have your reference display turned on and you may also find it helpful to use the Align With Wall Below tool to get your walls properly positioned...either that or just Copy the appropriate walls from 1st floor and Paste/Hold Position to second floor and resize/change to invisible as necessary.

I'm really glad you attached the plan.  I don't think any of us would have ever guessed that one.

Michael is correct in how to do this.  But based on your original post I would have made the same recommendation without seeing the plan.  The key information you gave was that you tried to edit the wall heights.

IAE, posting the plan is always a good idea.