ANY ONE USE DROP BOX

pazzfam

I was wandering if anyone uses drop box I have been using drop box storing all my files into drop box not my hard drive. Working on my lap top and shop computer. I never had a problem until recently. Lost everything in my layouts. Called tech support said that drop  box can cause us to lose info. They suggested that I store on hard drive and   save as to drop box file. Found my lay out in the archives and salvaged that plan. The first time that I saved on hard drive then saved to drop box file on lap top and  opened on my office computer layout was gone again.Have lap top next to me and everything was fine on lap top plan and layout.but not office. computer. Lay out was missing associated files Just curios if anyone else uses drop box

Thanks

Adam

I have been using drop box since moses parted the Red Sea.  I have never had problems.  I do pay extra so that supposedly if a catastrophe happened,  I could go back to a certain date and retrieve the files.....  I think it is called rat storage.

CA has always suggested that I save to a hard drive....  I do not want to take the time to mess with that,  I am counting on drop box and rat storage to save me in case of catastrophe.  

I am also considering signing up for iCloud storage just in case drop box lets me down.

ditto Kevin; your dropbox folder is on your hard disk of the computer you saved it on.

In Windows under users/dropbox. On a Mac look in your Finder window.

Should still be there even if the Dropbox cloud pooped out

I have also used Dropbox for years. Even if my internet server is down, the files are still available and they just sync when everything is back running. I do have to open Dropbox on my laptop to get it to sync the cloud storage files created on the desktop so they are stored there too.

I have used dropbox for some time. I follow the method CA suggests, as Scott (dshall) mentioned, by saving to my hard disk and then uploading the folders to dropbox; haven't had any problems so far. It has made sharing client info and views sooooo much easier. I just email them a link to their folder - much quicker and much less of a hassle.

Mike

I have used dropbox for some time. I follow the method CA suggests, as Scott (dshall) mentioned, by saving to my hard disk and then uploading the folders to dropbox; haven't had any problems so far. It has made sharing client info and views sooooo much easier. I just email them a link to their folder - much quicker and much less of a hassle.

Mike

Mike,

You shouldn't have to upload folders. It does this automatically. (Which is the whole point of Dropbox.)

I've got Drop Box on all 4 of my work/home computers and every Chief file gets updated to each computer whenever I turn that computer on.

There's still a real danger that Drop Box can corrupt a file which will then get updated to all the computers as that same corrupted file but that's a risk I'm wiling to take to have my files backed up to essentially 5 different places - 4 computers and the Drop Box servers. Very happy with Drop Box overall.

BTW I used Google Drive for a long time but it wasn't as user friendly to me. I still use it with one contractor client but only because he is computer averse and has a hard time changing technology.

I have been using drop box since moses parted the Red Sea.  I have never had problems.  I do pay extra so that supposedly if a catastrophe happened,  I could go back to a certain date and retrieve the files.....  I think it is called rat storage.

CA has always suggested that I save to a hard drive....  I do not want to take the time to mess with that,  I am counting on drop box and rat storage to save me in case of catastrophe.  

I am also considering signing up for iCloud storage just in case drop box lets me down.

Found the Packrat feature of Drop Box but it is no longer available. They now offer Extended Version History which preserves up to one years of version history.

http://www.backupreview.com/dropbox-discontinues-packrat/

I also use Dropbox but it normally installs on the "C" Drive which really doesn't save any space on that drive.  Consequently I have moved it to the "D" Drive on all my systems.  Almost all my plans and layouts are located in the D:/Dropbox folder. 

I've not yet tried putting the Library in Dropbox but I'm strongly considering it so that the Library would be constantly updated on each system.

...I've not yet tried putting the Library in Dropbox but I'm strongly considering it so that the Library would be constantly updated on each system.

Yikes!  That sounds crazy.  Seems like you'd be asking for problems with slowness.  One of the best things I think I ever did with my system was put everything onto an SSD.  By putting everything into DB it seems like you would be going in the opposite direction. 

Mike,

You shouldn't have to upload folders. It does this automatically. (Which is the whole point of Dropbox.)

Richard, I upload them because I immediately turn around and send the client a copied link to their folder. I haven't timed how long it normally takes to re-sync a new folder to my account. It may be quick but I just don't know.

Mike

Yikes!  That sounds crazy.  Seems like you'd be asking for problems with slowness.  One of the best things I think I ever did with my system was put everything onto an SSD.  By putting everything into DB it seems like you would be going in the opposite direction. 

I think Drop Box works a bit differently than you're thinking Michael. I have a folder on my SSD hard drive called Drop Box and it has many sub-folders for jobs etc. again all on that internal SSD drive. Drop Box merely synchs itself with that hard drive so there's no lag what so ever as each time you access a file it is simply accessing the SSD drive as if Drop Box weren't there.

I suppose one would be able to access their library files in the same way?

Another way to put it. You don't put any files into Drop Box. You put them on your SSD hard drive and Drop Box, which is pointed to that Drop Box folder, uploads your files and synchs them to its cloud servers. Way slicker than I thought it would be.

Richard, I upload them because I immediately turn around and send the client a copied link to their folder. I haven't timed how long it normally takes to re-sync a new folder to my account. It may be quick but I just don't know.

Mike

There is a way to use Drop Box where it doesn't install a folder on your hard drive and you can drag and drop or upload folders/files to Drop Box manually and share the link with anyone who you'd like to grant viewing privileges to. If you have loaded Drop Box on your computer using their software it will create a folder called DropBox on your hard drive and using this method any sub folders within that DropBox folder are automatically uploaded to the Drop Box servers as they are created.

Ya, I understand how it works fairly well and have used it myself in the past both manually and the automated folder system.

You could be right and I may very well be wrong, it might not cause any lag, but for a file structure as large and complex as the library it seems likely that there would be issues...syncing such a large file and file access during that sync is one of the main things that comes to mind.

Ya, I understand how it works fairly well and have used it myself in the past both manually and the automated folder system.

You could be right and I may very well be wrong, it might not cause any lag, but for a file structure as large and complex as the library it seems likely that there would be issues.

I have the same concern about the Library, thus my question above, but I can't see how there would be a lag since it is simply accessing the hard drive, which I might have wrong as well? All the library files are currently on the hard drive correct? Curious about the genuine ramifications.

Or maybe it would be nice to just get 'My Materials' onto Drop Box as everything else be reloaded in case of a problem.

My problem is I don't know where 'My Materials' is in order to put them on DropBox and how would one point to that folder from the library browser? Those are the types of  questions I have about using DB for library items.

I have the same concern about the Library, thus my question above, but I can't see how there would be a lag since it is simply accessing the hard drive, which I might have wrong as well? All the library files are currently on the hard drive correct? Curious about the genuine ramifications.

I was editing my post at the same time you were posting this. As I noted above, it's the syncing and file access issue that I would most suspect as a potential problem. Maybe you should go ahead and try it out and let the rest of us know how it goes :-)

I think the drop box is the best thing since the almighty created woman.  I do not think I have ever had any problems with it.  What I do know is I can check out ANY FILES on my iPhone,  my iPad,  or my iMac any time and anywhere.  I have clients that use it and they love it.  I have clients that I share files with and we love it.  I do not think I have ever had a problem with the lag.  

Drop box is essentially the iCloud or "the cloud".  The computer hard drive is not a place to store files in my opinion.  I think all files should be stored on the cloud.

I thought I would try it with 'My Materials' and could not locate it.

Is the library a single 'file'? If so then that might take the fun right out of synching as you suggest. But a moot question as I don't know where that is either.

Away from my computer right now but check your C Drive Program Files folder.