Primitive Modeling

Chopsaw

Trying to model a cove profile on the top of a primitive 3D cylinder. Is this possible in Chief or will I have to settle for a simple truncated cone?  I would like to remove the areas marked with X.

post-4797-0-68593000-1462340094_thumb.jpg

Its possible using a Face and the Revolve tool. Its reasons like this though that I really think Chief needs a "Convert Molding To Solid" tool. It would make much quicker and easier work of things like this.

Note: I'm assuming you need that to be a solid for some reason. If not, just use a molding polyline and maybe convert to a symbol. That would probably be easier.

Hi Michael, This is a new tool for me and the help file is a little sketchy. I got this far ok but when I press "ok" I get a 39 1/4" diameter ring that I don't seem to be able to edit and it needs to be 1 1/4" OD.  What am I doing wrong?

Just noticed your edit, if you think this is futile I will try molding polyline ( another newish tool for me )

post-4797-0-00727600-1462345328_thumb.jpg

Ya. It sounds like a moulding polyline would be a lot easier for you. I'm about to turn in for the night, but if someone else hasn't clarified things for you or if you haven't quite figured it out yet I'll try to touch base again tomorrow and maybe give you a few more pointers. A couple very quick notes though.

1. Using the revolve tool you'll need to figure the exact x, y, and/or z location of the center of your shape to get revolve to work correctly. And when choosing the axis, imagine your item will be spinning around that particular axis to figure the correct one to use.

2. With a moulding all you have to do is draw the one profile (half your doorknob or whatever it is) and extrude around a very small circle (or inside a larger one). Then convert to symbol. Easy peasy.

From What you have said so far I think this should be working. I got the rotation coordinates from the original cylinder that is still in position.

I found the biggest problem as I was shutting down but still have a little one.

Talk to you tomorrow, the sun goes down a lot sooner here.

post-4797-0-73138500-1462347336_thumb.jpg

Chopsaw,

Have a look at this.

Draw it in an elevation view.

I think the fastest way is to draw the shape with straight lines and then convert them to curves.

http://screencast.com/t/6PqGADBW

Another great vid by  Glenn.  

It was great that he talked about revolving around absolute zero and it was great that he spoke of smoothing.  Good stuff.

Glenn,  I think it would of been neat if you had taken it a step further and exploded into faces and then give a different material to the faces....  I think that is possible.

Thanks for the video Glenn.

Chopsaw,

FWIW, you can also use that revolve tool to actually just remove that profile from your original cylinder if you wanted to. Simply create a face with that arc shape on it...maybe a full circle, revolve it around the center of that cylinder to create a donut shaped ring, select the cylinder, click Solid Subtraction, and then click the ring you previously created.

Thanks for all your help guys,

I now have a quite realistic antique 3D reproduction door handle for my Library.  You all exceeded my expectations as I could not find anything like it in the 3D Warehouse.  The Deflection setting was absolutely critical for such a small piece and I had to set it to 0", also using absolute 0 makes things much easier.  Excellent video Glen.  On to bigger challenges now.

post-4797-0-62193600-1462385329_thumb.jpg