Forum Posting Issues

Chopsaw

Has anyone else had issues with their postings not posting when the post tab is activated? This has happened to me a few times now and either nothing happens or then after a few tries on the post button I will try the other button (More reply options) only to get kicked out.

Yesterday this happened and I found my way back and discovered that the autosave had saved most of my post but would not restore it. I was able to copy and paste but I am quite sure that is not how it is supposed to work.

I think each time this happened I was previously watching Chief SSA Training Video's with my company login and then switched to my personal login to post. I will try to be more observant as to the exact details next time but wonder if anyone has had anything similar happen that would help isolate the issue?

Many thanks in advance.

Chop,

I use Google Chrome most of the time and I too have noticed that I sometimes have problems posting. I usually copy my post to the Windows Clipboard as a back up in case of any problems. I must say that I do a lot of posts so I do not consider this "unusual" due to the frequency of my posts. It seems to me to happen most often when I take over long to answer a post (too much time elapsed between opening the post client and actually then posting an answer or question).

It is annoying but I do not otherwise have a tip or trick other than taking steps to be careful.

DJP 

Yes I think that the time is one of the factors as I am often researching from different sources as I am writing the post and testing theories with plans in CA.  Which all takes time and is frustrating to loose when this is a volunteer situation.   I have also just started using the windows clipboard.  Not so sure if Google Chrome could be a factor as I have not upgraded to this yet.  I would be more suspect of a slow internet connection.   Unless there is any possibility that it is a Chief Software Problem?

• 1 month later...

I am still having issues with posting on the Forum and have gotten into the habit of highlighting my text and hitting CTRL + C every time before touching the Post button or the More Reply Options button.  This seems to fail more predictably when the Auto Save Feature is not visible but I have also had the auto save work and then not restore my content.

I am wondering how to get CA to address this issue?  Can I as the OP transfer the contents of this post over to Suggestions, or do I start a new post in Suggestions and include a link to this Thread?

I think it would still help to hear from anyone else that has had a problem like this.  I don't think it can be blamed on rural internet service if it is a problem in Austin, Texas.

It used to happen quite a bit and then it seemed to be rectified.

Seems to be happening again but to a lesser degree. The one

thing you can be sure of is that the more time you have into

composing the perfect response, the greater the chance it will

evaporate into the ether when you hit the post button. All I can

say is save yourself some aggravation and hit the copy button

before you hit the "Send" or "More Reply Options" buttons.

Just had this happen. I copied the post, closed the reply then pasted the text to re-reply. I've had it happen quite a bit.

Yep.  This is what I do on a pretty regular basis as well.  If I start to suspect I've taken too long I copy the whole text before continuing...just in case.

Today I was helping someone out and taking a little more time than usual and had successfully proceeded to the "More Reply Options" section and had uploaded a file and then when I clicked "Add Reply" all was lost and I was given the message "Webpage has expired". 

Wow I almost expired.  This has never happened to me before and may be a different issue than the previous problems but what a disappointment.

Posted and Linked to "Suggestions" today: https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/9883-forum-posting-issues/

I have run into posting problems with two situations in particular in mind:

1.  Taking too much time for a regular post .... the time out thing mentioned ends it.

2.  Starting with a regular post and then deciding to do a more detailed post ... assuming what I've already typed will just get carried over to "More Reply Options" when everything is lost unless I've did the Ctrl C thing.

I wish they'd loosen up on the time out period, whatever it is, and fix the loss of data when switching to giving more detailed responses with attachments.

We have so far not been able to reproduce any of these issues.  We did however research the issue and discovered a flaw that we believed could have caused this problem.  A fix was put in for that problem late last week.  If you are still seeing this problem could any of you please describe in detail what exactly is happening?  For example how much time is passing from when you start to post to when you click post. What browser are you using? Do you see any errors when you attempt to post? 

I think each time this happened I was previously watching Chief SSA Training Video's with my company login and then switched to my personal login to post. I will try to be more observant as to the exact details next time but wonder if anyone has had anything similar happen that would help isolate the issue?

The issue above will definitely cause the described problem. If you are logging in and out of your Chief Architect account in different browser tabs while you are attempting to post it is almost guaranteed that a problem will occur.   I would suggest that if you have altered your login state while ChiefTalk was open that you refresh the ChiefTalk page prior to attempting to post as this should make sure you are correctly logged in to the site.    

Thanks

Brian, This is still a major issue for me even when I have not changed my account login state.
I will try to keep better track of the time factor but it seems that anything over 60 seconds is almost sure to fail like right now I am not seeing the "Auto Save Feature" on the bottom left of the reply box so I am quite sure to expect a posting failure with this post as this has happened to me many many times an I would say you are at about a 80% failure rate with me as it sometimes takes two or three tries to make a successful posting.

This problem is also plaguing your Tech Support page as reported to Kirk this morning.

I am using I.E. 11 for my browser and never get any sort of error message, just smoke. I would be happy to answer any other questions that I can as I am sure other users will to get this fixed.

Thanks, Chopsaw

P.S.  Auto save just lost most of a post that I was working on for over an hour. Good thing I saved before pressing that friendly looking green "Post" button that just ate my post.  2:13 PM EDT

I have a suggestion here. I have the problem as well but it doesn't happen anywhere near as short as 60 seconds. I suspect it might be an issue with your router...either a bandwidth issue or just time for a new one. It just seems like intermittent connectivity might cause the problem. I actually suspect that might be the problem on my end as well.

The only thing I know of that happens on a 60 second interval is a backend check to verify you are still logged in. If you are no longer logged in the posts would fail in the manner described.

I'll take another look at the code with an eye to what happens during bad internet connectivity.

In composing this message I took well over 60 seconds.

I often get where I read a post, decide to do a You Tube response. Create the video, upload it, by the time I am ready to post a link to the video, I have to refresh the Chief Talk or Home Talk post. There is no warning, just loss of communication line.

I always copy my responses using text because in the past while posting, when I hit "Post" I am led back to the "Forums" area and my post is then lost unless I have already saved it to my Windows clipboard. Where a post is involved and requires research, this can be very annoying, especially if one does not save it first before sharing it with the gentle mercy's of this forum.

DJP

David, As I mentioned before I don't consider Austin to be a rural area for internet service, such as Michael and I may be facing such issues as well as an older router. Do you have the latest high tech router and do you suspect any deficiencies in your internet service.

Chopsaw

This issue has also been causing me a lot of lost time and patience when doing Forum searches I am quite consistently unable to return to my search results after reading a Thread and given this message.  I think this issue may also be related to the others.

Is this happening to anyone else?  Now is the time to get it Resolved so please comment.

Thanks, Chopsaw

post-4797-0-11410400-1466730820_thumb.jpg

This issue has also been causing me a lot of lost time and patience when doing Forum searches I am quite consistently unable to return to my search results after reading a Thread and given this message.  I think this issue may also be related to the others.

Is this happening to anyone else?  Now is the time to get it Resolved so please comment.

Thanks, Chopsaw

IE shows that message if you post data to a web site, follow a link, then click the back button.

Firefox and Chrome let you go back to the previous page without reloading.

In discussing this with our internet team I think IE is technically correct in letting you know the posted request is out of date and needs to be refreshed, however, I think the Firefox and Chrome by presenting the data you receive on hitting the back button may be the better implementation.

If you would like to test Firefox and Chrome and see if you get better results that would let us know more about the problem.

Thanks Dan, There does not seem to be any consistency to when this happens or why. Could you expand on what specific activities you are referring to when you say "post data to a website" as it applies to chiefarchitect.com and when you say "follow a link" do you mean reading a searched Thread or jumping to another website from a posted link. This will help me be more observant so hopefully we can get this resolved.

P.S. This time I hit the Post button three times and nothing so I tried refresh and it wiped me out.

Sorry, When I said post I was referencing an HTTP POST vs GET method. The search dialog does an HTTP POST in a manner similar to what happens when you click the post button. The data is sent to the server and you are then redirected to a new page with the results. If you follow a link off that page to another page and cick back the page needs to be reloaded by resending the data.

Posting is also done via javascript. The reply form uses javascript to post without refreshing the entire page.

When you click the post button it will be disabled for subsequent clicks until you get a reply back from the server.

Checking the system for malware might help. If a malicious javascript were running using up resources it might slow the system down or cause the background posting to fail.

If auto save is also failing then javascript might be getting disabled. (I would expect to see some sort of error in that case.)