New To Chief. Is There A Keynote Tool?

deesee

Go to solution Solved by DRAWZILLA,

Here is a short video

http://www.screencast.com/t/jnlkuc4xlIfP

Good stuff P.,  but it would be nice if you started from the beginning to show how you set up the tool in your tool bar and how you reduced the size of the  plant.  

I understand that you did this months ago and you have forgotten how to do it...  this is something I face all the time when doing vids,  but it would be helpful to those who do not know how to do it and I always take it as a challenge to go back and figure out how I did it initially.

• Upvote 1

Yes, sometimes I just figure that people already know how to do it. I haven't forgotten how to do it, just thought that showing the plant DBX was enough and anyone would catch on from that. But I must admit I don't put a Lot of thought into doing video's, 1 take and no editing. But I do agree that having everything already set up in our templates can lead to a "How'd I do that" moment for sure.

• 2 months later...

This doesn't work for elevations and sections, correct? Only in floor plan views where plants can be used. I love keynotes but this technique is too limited. I wish CA would get on the ball and give us a true Keynote Manager.

• Upvote 1

This doesn't work for elevations and sections, correct?

Incorrect. It can be used in elevations and sections as well (you can even place any number of your note symbols on specific layers so they will only display in your desired views).

And plants aren't the only objects you can use as the basis for your schedule either.

This video might be worth a look for those interesting in the basics of how to set the system up...

• Upvote 2

I think the main reason was that most of us don't do "Plant Schedules" and it wasn't easy to have multiple Schedules for the other items without conflicts.  In addition Plant images don't convert to Symbols and it's easy to make them very small and hide them behind the Callout.

• Upvote 1

Still, I wish Chief set something up like Vectorworks. They had this way back in 2009. Look at their video from an update in 2010....

This shows how their keynotes work.

This shows the actual manager module..

I'm going to post this to the Chief wishlist forum. I think it's about time.

• Upvote 1

I cant get this working on 2 levels.- it works on 1 level real sweet.

have unticked the plant schedule checkbox "include objects from all floors' but it is still picking up items from the room below.

I would also like to use an independent schedule in the elevations.

attached is a plan.

for demonstration purposes I am using a "floorplan1" layer set.

was done on latest x8.

can someone show me how to set this up for 2 story building with INDEPENDENT schedules for each floor / elevations / sections ....

cheers,

Bernie

Untitled 1.plan

• Downvote 1

I cant get this working on 2 levels.- it works on 1 level real sweet.

have unticked the plant schedule checkbox "include objects from all floors' but it is still picking up items from the room below.

I would also like to use an independent schedule in the elevations.

attached is a plan.

for demonstration purposes I am using a "floorplan1" layer set.

was done on latest x8.

can someone show me how to set this up for 2 story building with INDEPENDENT schedules for each floor / elevations / sections ....

cheers,

Bernie

To answer the first part of your question...

The schedule on your second floor was just set to Include Objects From Floor: 1.  Just change that to floor 2 and you're good to go.

The answer to the second part of your question re: notes for elevations...depends on how you want those notes listed. Will they be on the same plan note schedule or on a totally independent schedule?

Here's a few quick ideas though to allow multiple schedules...

- You can use a different type of schedule entirely (other than a plant schedule). There are plenty of other schedules and "Objects To Include" options you can utilize.

- Probably my new favorite...You can draw a room off to the side in your plan somewhere using invisible walls, with no floor and no roof/ceiling, excluded from living space square footage, and unconditioned. Maybe give it a name like "Plan Notes". Set your schedule to display only objects from that room and then drop your symbols in there. Once your symbol is placed in the room, drag ONLY THE LABEL over to the desired location. The room simply serves as a place holder for the symbols while the labels go wherever you want them. Using this method along with unique layers could result in a near endless number of custom schedules on any given floor.

-You can also use a similar method to the above by creating an extra floor as a place holder for those symbols. Set your schedule to include objects only from that floor and then use reference sets to display on floors below...OR for elevation views simply drag the LABELS down like in the previous example. Only complication with this method is that the plant (or whatever type) symbol would have to be placed in the proper plane between your elevation camera and whatever it is your elevation is displaying.

• 2 weeks later...